BC2 reserved slots issue

Dasterin
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

BC2 reserved slots issue

Post by Dasterin »

This is probably a bug on DICE/EA's end but I figured I'd ask here just in case. It seems that when you set reserved slots on a server, they don't do what it says they do. The text on the easy setup panel is "The game allows any player in this list to join regardless of the number of people in the server, kicking a non-reserved player if necessary." This implies that the server can fill up to it's maximum amount of players, then kick someone to make space for a reserved player if they try to join.

This is not the behavior I've been seeing. We had 5 reserved slots on our server and it seemed to cap population and report as full with 27/32 players. When I dropped the reserved slots, it filled to 32/32 within seconds.

So is there plans for actual intelligent behaving reserved slots? Am I doing it wrong? Etc etc.

Our server identifier is Novawarfare, if you need that.
PowersGaming
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: BC2 reserved slots issue

Post by PowersGaming »

We experienced the same situation, albeit randomly. Having five reserved slots as well, there were times when the server would completely fill up to it's 28 player capacity, and times when only 23 players could get in. I have an additional computer next to the computer I play on and was logged into the server the whole time watching this happen.

I like the way it's supposed to work. On our server, in "Easy setup", it says, "The game allows any player in this list to join regardless of the number of people in the server, kicking a non-reserved player if necessary." Just wondering :

1) Will this be the case permanently ? We are giving players reserved slots now who will be attending our LAN and I don't want to pull those privileges at a later date.

2) How does the server choose which player it will kick when full and a "reserved slot" player joins ?
PowersGaming
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by PowersGaming »

UPDATE: Server was "full" at 22 players (with 6 reserved slots). We have a 28 person server. As soon as I deleted 4 of the reserved slots, then hit "Commit changes" the server immediately filled up to 26. Did not have to restart.

Hopefully DICE will change this scenario, b/c it would be nice to have reserved slots not taking up public slots.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Thanks for the reports! I will contact DICE to ask about this.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

DICE got back to me very quickly on this :). In the current version of the game, it's mistakenly implemented according to a different spec, as you guys described -- when they are working correctly, slots are dedicated to the player names provided and nobody else can use them. This is something that they will be fixing in a later patch but it will take them some time to get it out.
PowersGaming
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by PowersGaming »

Thanks !

Good to know DICE is that responsive, and working on it. I really think this game has the potential to win "game of the year" honors across the board, and be playable for years to come, provided DICE supports the community with patches and new maps, etc..

We appreciate your support as well. We love this game, and our server is running beautifully !
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

That's all very good to hear :).

So far DICE has been very good to work with from our perspective. Hopefully they are able to keep the pace of fixes and improvements high.
Dasterin
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Dasterin »

Excellent! I'll look forward to that patch :D Thanks for getting on top of this so quickly.