BC2 Banning

disconnect
A regular
A regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

BC2 Banning

Post by disconnect »

Hey guys,

I have a bit of a noob question... I've been a server admin for Half-Life mods for years now, but this is my first Battlefield server. It's also the first server I haven't been able to host on my own dedicated box for quite some time hehe.

Anyway, on to my question, how does Bad Company 2 handle bans? Does it ban the EA account or the soldier name? I would hope the EA account, as it would be pretty easy for someone to change their soldier name re-join.

I'm aware the ban system is broke right now, I'm just trying to educate myself how it's suppose to work, when it finally does. :)

Thanks!

Disconnect
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: BC2 Banning

Post by Edge100x »

The regular in-game ban can handle banning by either player name or IP address (you'd have to find out the IP from PB): http://www.nfoservers.com/forums/viewto ... =50&t=4278

You can also ban through PB, using the GUID in that system.
disconnect
A regular
A regular

Post by disconnect »

Edge100x wrote:The regular in-game ban can handle banning by either player name or IP address (you'd have to find out the IP from PB): http://www.nfoservers.com/forums/viewto ... =50&t=4278

You can also ban through PB, using the GUID in that system.
Hey Edge,

Thanks for the reply... so which method would be best for me to use for a perm ban? I typically avoid ip bans since not to many people have static ip addresses these days. As far as I can tell, anyone can change their soldier name, so if it's a griefer, they could literally just logout, change their name, and get right back in? Is the PB GUID static or does this change for people as well?

I guess I'm looking for the equivalent to a STEAM_ID ban, where you know they aren't easily getting back in... without buying another copy of the game anyway.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

None of the bans are like a SteamID ban at this point, unfortunately -- all can be worked around fairly easily. I would recommend using a three-pronged approach to try to make it as hard as possible on griefers.

DICE is working on better ways to handle bans with a later server patch, but I don't yet have an ETA on that.
Nightware
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Nightware »

Bans using the admin tools are still vanishing for us on server restart.
We've had to use the punkbuster method, and edit pbbans.dat to add the deserving when reported.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

That's correct; bans set through rcon can't be saved (there's no command for it). The same is true of many other settings (hardcore mode, admin password, 3d spotting, etc).

The admin tool could compensate for this by storing the banlist locally and re-implementing it. Or, you could compensate by manually adding the bans to AdminScripts/Startup.txt.
highone
New to forums
New to forums

Post by highone »

Nightware wrote:Bans using the admin tools are still vanishing for us on server restart.
We've had to use the punkbuster method, and edit pbbans.dat to add the deserving when reported.
This is better anyways... they would have to buy a new copy to generate a new pbguid.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

highone wrote:... they would have to buy a new copy to generate a new pbguid.
Unfortunately, that's not the case right now =\. This is why I said that a tri-pronged approach of banning in-game by IP, in-game by player name, and through PB is the best way to go about it right now.
disconnect
A regular
A regular

Post by disconnect »

Awful lot of work to get rid of an asshat, hopefully this changes someday down the road. We're already seeing some hackers in our server :roll:
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Nod, DICE says that they are looking into better solutions, including a GUID that is locked to their copy of the game and would require them to buy a new one.
Johnny
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Johnny »

Edge100x wrote:Nod, DICE says that they are looking into better solutions, including a GUID that is locked to their copy of the game and would require them to buy a new one.
Man, would that be a thing of beauty!
disconnect
A regular
A regular

Post by disconnect »

Johnny wrote:
Edge100x wrote:Nod, DICE says that they are looking into better solutions, including a GUID that is locked to their copy of the game and would require them to buy a new one.
Man, would that be a thing of beauty!
This was apparently added with today's R7 update :)