BC2 Annoucements

bacon
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

BC2 Annoucements

Post by bacon »

Is there any way to set up announcements that cycle through at the start of a map then don't after that. So say we wanted to "announce" a couple rules, have it announce rule 1, wait say 15 seconds, announce rule 2, etc.

That is unless there's a sourcemod type thing for bad company 2 coming out soon that opens up a window with rules, 1 to accept, 2 to decline - if you decline you get kicked.
Jack the Smack
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Re: BC2 Annoucements

Post by Jack the Smack »

bacon wrote:Is there any way to set up announcements that cycle through at the start of a map then don't after that. So say we wanted to "announce" a couple rules, have it announce rule 1, wait say 15 seconds, announce rule 2, etc.

That is unless there's a sourcemod type thing for bad company 2 coming out soon that opens up a window with rules, 1 to accept, 2 to decline - if you decline you get kicked.
You can run the Bad Company 2 Guardian from http://www.g4g.pl/bc2guardian. Actually, you can run a couple of them at once, each with a different timed welcome message.

Not the best solution, but the only one available now.
highone
New to forums
New to forums

Post by highone »

You can use the Punkbuster announcements setup.

This will stay as long as the pb config file you put them in hasn't been written over...

Google this...

pb_sv_task

Read how to use it... it can be tricky... but once mastered it's the way to go with any PB enabled game.
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Post by TimeX »

This is a handy guide for setting it up, you would just need to use the proper commands for whichever game you are playing:

http://www.punksbusted.com/wiki/index.p ... d_Messages

The problem is that I'm not sure the admin.yell command works when done locally, or if it needs to be done through external rcon. If it can't be run locally then punkbuster can't be used for automated messages in this game currently.
TimeX
highone
New to forums
New to forums

Post by highone »

if the pb server is running, and a config has the pb_sv_task commands in it with proper setup... it will work.

the question is will BC2 allow it to be seen with all the crazy bugs.
Johnny
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Johnny »

Are you guys running PB currently? I only ask since I have disabled for the time being fearing that a relatively severe problem remained.

I am still running ranked. Starting a couple days back, I disabled and have had absolutely no problems with the server. It has been full for the last 36 hours or so.

I would love to feel the security of having the program run, but not if it continually crashes the server.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

PB still causes some problems, from what I have heard -- support requests about crashes dropped quite a bit after we advised that renters disable it. Overall, renters who haven't disabled PB have much less popular servers, as well, as you saw with your server.

One of the other crashes might have something to do with autobalancing, and DICE is looking into that one currently.
bacon
New to forums
New to forums

Post by bacon »

We still have Punk Buster enabled on my server, and it stays 24/24 quite a lot. (At least when my clan is playing) Haven't bothered to see when off times are because we only run the server for ourselves mainly.

I'll read into using the PB to announce and let you guys know if any messages show up or not.

Autobalancing is turned on on our server but it hasn't done anything as far as I can tell. And I don't recall any crashes *shrug* but we try and tell people to keep the teams balanced when we're on so it really has nothing to do if it wanted to.
darkvortex
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by darkvortex »

Edge100x wrote:PB still causes some problems, from what I have heard -- support requests about crashes dropped quite a bit after we advised that renters disable it. Overall, renters who haven't disabled PB have much less popular servers, as well, as you saw with your server.
That is odd we actually had our rating go up quite a bit once we disabled punkbuster we assumed it was due to the better stability since before it was losing connection all the time(Thanks EA and DICE for the blunders). Just our personal experience but we are currently ranked in the top 1% on gametracker.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

I'm sorry because it seems my post could be read two ways. I meant that PB has been causing some crashes/disconnections, as you described. The frequency of crash complaints has decreased since we advised that people turn off PB because more people now have it disabled.
disconnect
A regular
A regular

Post by disconnect »

Has anyone been able to get this to work? Ive tried numerous variations, found throughout the interweb, with no luck at all.

I'd like to get some messages on timers that go to the chat box (not to the center of the screen like the yell command). As far as i can tell, this say command is a no go. The Gaurdian message actually uses yell, which puts it in the center of the screen, this is tolerable for an onjoin message but would get very annoying for timed repeating messages.

Cheers,
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Server version R7 (released today) should allow you to use admin.yell in a pb_sv_task, whereas it was not possible to do that (or any other remote admin command) before. I'd recommend giving that a try.

admin.yell shows messages in the center of the screen, and unfortunately that is the only mechanism we have of sending messages to the server right now.

Also, notably, our in-game admin system will have the ability to send timed messages, also with admin.yell. That system should be out in beta today or tomorrow.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

DICE just told me that they're working on an "admin.say" command but there's no current ETA on it. They definitely have a lot on their plates over there :).
disconnect
A regular
A regular

Post by disconnect »

Edge100x wrote:DICE just told me that they're working on an "admin.say" command but there's no current ETA on it. They definitely have a lot on their plates over there :).
Awesome news. I'm willing to wait for admin.say, so long as they are working on team balancing and reserved slots haha :)
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Yup, they're definitely working on those as well. I know that team balancing in particular is a high priority for them, partially because it is leading to some crashes.