BFBC2 Server Crashing

g00d
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

BFBC2 Server Crashing

Post by g00d »

I am an admin on one of your servers but do not own it so I am not sure what you will need until he gets online. (The person who rents)

We have a BFBC2 server that has been crashing all day. When you log into the admin panel it shows the server up but the players grayed out. In game the server is not responding. Only way to make the server playable is to stop then start the server. It works for about an hour or so before crashing again. There are no errors in the console log from what I can tell. Was the server updated today that might have caused this? Is there any logs we can check?

Server Name: Wisconsin Death Trip & BuckToof Gangstas [Conquest]
Server address: wdt.nuclearfallout.net:19567
Server IP: 216.52.148.229:19567
Game: Battlefield:Bad Company 2
Current map: MP_001
Current players: 2 / 32
Currently locked? No
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: BFBC2 Server Crashing

Post by Edge100x »

Server crashes are very common in BF:BC2 right now, at all RSPs. They seem to be mostly random, but PB may be one of the culprits -- if you are running PB, I highly recommend that you turn it off. Turning off PB will also make your server more popular, as others have discussed here.

Apart from turning off PB and waiting for fixes from DICE, there's nothing that can be done.

There hasn't been a new game update since R6. When there is another update, we will do as we have with the others, posting to the Events log and upgrading servers as they empty. I'll also update the bugs list in the knowledgebase to account for the differences in the new version.

I talk more about the crashes in an Event posted to the Event log to all customers earlier today.
g00d
New to forums
New to forums

Post by g00d »

Thanks for the quick reply. Looks like PB has been disabled all day so I am not sure if that's it. Well it was disabled when I just checked it and I did not change it nor did the other admins today.

I will ask the owner of the account to grant me access to the Events page. I assume you need special access as I could not find it searching your site.

Other than that the server has been great. I can really notice how much better it runs when playing on different servers. You can tell when a server is having CPU issues and I have not seen one from this server yet.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

When I checked out the server right after posting, it was running PB on. If someone changed it since then, that's good :).

On the Events page, the owner should be able to grant you access via a checkbox on the "Panel access" page.

I'm glad to hear that your performance has been high. We keep very close tabs on our machines here and make sure that they are underloaded at all times. If you ever do see a performance problem, please let us know ASAP!
g00d
New to forums
New to forums

Post by g00d »

Server has still been crashing after a restart and 2 or 3 maps still with PB off. Is there something else that can be checked? It's not across the board as others and myself have played on other servers for hours with no crash.

We would love to play on the server but having it crash this often makes us play elsewhere.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

These crashes are random and occur at every RSP. Here's what I wrote in the "Events log" page about this last week:
Since BF:BC2 was released, we've been getting a constant stream of support requests about server crashes, and they're not letting up (even from a few customers who have asked us many times about them already).

The game has a lot of bugs in it right now (some of which we talk about here), and among them are many crash bugs. Server crashes occur everywhere, at all RSPs. The only common thread that we've seen, with a small fraction of them, is that PB was enabled; along with the much greater popularity of PB-disabled servers right now, this is why we are recommending that servers be run with PB off.

Apart from PB, there's currently nothing that we can do, or a renter can do, to prevent crashes. The crashes are not due to our hardware, bandwidth, or software configuration.

It might seem like some servers don't crash as much as others. This is simply because crashes are random (or at least, they appear random from our perspective -- there's a specific bug behind each one), and the nature of randomness is that some events will happen to some people more than they do to others.

We're all waiting patiently for fixes from DICE. They are working on these fixes, but their resources are limited.
Version R7 fixes a few types of crashes, but the feedback I have been getting indicates that it doesn't help with many. I know that at least one of the remaining bugs deals with the broken auto-balancer.