BC2 and PB

Post by j0rd0n420 »

Is it safe to turn PB back on yet?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: BC2 and PB

Post by Edge100x »

You can turn PB back on if you'd like, but the situation is still the same here, as far as I know, when it comes to a lack of popularity for PB-enabled servers and potential crashing behavior.

At some point DICE will make it required again, which will force players to connect to PB-enabled servers if they want to play in ranked mode. I don't know when that will happen.
IcEWoLF
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by IcEWoLF »

John, will you let us know in events when EA/Dice makes PB mandatory again?

PowersGaming
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by PowersGaming »

I was against running PB, but my son was adamant b/c he hates hackers so much. We've been running it now for several days with no problems at all. None of us have been kicked, but we're all updated thru evenbalance.com. Except for the DDoS attack in Dallas last night, we've seen no server crashes either. Running PB certainly isn't as popular as not running it; our attendance has dropped slightly. But I suppose that's a fair trade; we'd like our players to be those that don't cheat.
Johnny
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Johnny »

PowersGaming wrote:I was against running PB, but my son was adamant b/c he hates hackers so much. We've been running it now for several days with no problems at all. None of us have been kicked, but we're all updated thru evenbalance.com. Except for the DDoS attack in Dallas last night, we've seen no server crashes either. Running PB certainly isn't as popular as not running it; our attendance has dropped slightly. But I suppose that's a fair trade; we'd like our players to be those that don't cheat.
I'm with your son, my friend. I LOATHE cheaters/hackers. With the r7 release, I am seriously contemplating turning PB back on in the morning.

It's one of those things, even though nothing is foolproof, having that extra layer of protection makes one feel a bit better. Also, right now, it just makes me think when I see something "strange", I wonder if we have a cheater on the server.

Thanks for posting your results of stability. It makes me feel easier about enabling it.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

They're working on a fix to the client to make it so that the PB checkbox makes more sense, too -- right now, checking it actually finds servers that aren't PB-enabled.

At some point in the future, once the non-PB-related crashes are figured out, they'll force it onto ranked servers again.
CrudBurst
New to forums
New to forums

Post by CrudBurst »

We've been running with PB enabled since R6 went back on the server and have been streaming to PBBans - the server has been running fine (chicago center).

The server doesnt populate as fast as it did during the first couple weeks after release. Not sure if it is a function of the player base not knowing what the PB box in the server filter does, if its a function of how play now is handled, or some other technical issue between EA's back end and/or Punk Buster.

In any case, we haven't run into any issues with PB since they (EA) said they fixed 'em (at least that can't be fixed by talking someone through their firewall set-up and/or manually updating PB) and the server itself has been performing very well.
Johnny
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Johnny »

After all the great information here, I decided to enable PB again. I also added [Ranked, Punkbuster on] next to our server name. I figured a minor attempt at "unconfusion" couldn't hurt. Hopefully the word gets out and a fix is issued.

Now I have to check with Pbbans to ensure I started the streaming properly. I didn't have a problem with the server side commands, but in actually registering with them for some reason.
PowersGaming
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by PowersGaming »

Johnny wrote:
It's one of those things, even though nothing is foolproof, having that extra layer of protection makes one feel a bit better. Also, right now, it just makes me think when I see something "strange", I wonder if we have a cheater on the server.

Thanks for posting your results of stability. It makes me feel easier about enabling it.
Without PB, our server was infected by cheaters; I mean it was ridiculous. Since we enabled PB, we've only seen one guy that was questionable. Big difference. Our server is running great (Dallas/Internap) with PB enabled...
Johnny
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Johnny »

PowersGaming wrote:
Johnny wrote:

Without PB, our server was infected by cheaters; I mean it was ridiculous. Since we enabled PB, we've only seen one guy that was questionable. Big difference. Our server is running great (Dallas/Internap) with PB enabled...
In the last 4 days, I personally had seen 4-5 of these guys. My buddy had seen about the same at different times. You're right, its a f****** nightmare. With PB on now, in addition to having seen no hacks, the server has been remarkably stable for the last 12 hours.
Dog_Pound
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Dog_Pound »

We've been running PB and PBBans since R6 was implemented with absolutely no problems. I risked it as I couldn't stand the hackers I was starting to see running amuck and am happy to report all is fine.
maelstrom
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by maelstrom »

i've been running PB on my server ever since the beginning...unless "enable PB" actually means "disable PB" ;x. lucky enough not to have any issues with PB crashing. server's been at full cap mostly.

i don't like hackers myself, but damn if it isn't hard to start streaming from PBBans. they require you to be a clan or community. wtf? i'm renting a server by myself lol. i find it odd that they don't let single owner admins stream for BC2 as all the server data is stored GSP side. what a pain in the butt. PB should inherently have this sort of functionality.

also, how do i ban through PB? can that be done manually?
Battlefield: Bad Company 2
maelstrom.nuclearfallout.net:19567
Johnny
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Johnny »

maelstrom wrote:i've been running PB on my server ever since the beginning...unless "enable PB" actually means "disable PB" ;x. lucky enough not to have any issues with PB crashing. server's been at full cap mostly.

i don't like hackers myself, but damn if it isn't hard to start streaming from PBBans. they require you to be a clan or community. wtf? i'm renting a server by myself lol. i find it odd that they don't let single owner admins stream for BC2 as all the server data is stored GSP side. what a pain in the butt. PB should inherently have this sort of functionality.

also, how do i ban through PB? can that be done manually?

AMEN to the "abuse" of trying to "register" with PBbans. Maybe I am ferociously retarded, but I set things up properly on the server and I cannot for the life of me get signed up with them on their website after following their directions to the T!

Step by step and I still am not confirmed on the PBbans site, wtf? Anyone?
maelstrom
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by maelstrom »

they denied my application because i don't have a website and my forum consists of 3 stickies by myself. and the forum only exists for people to contest a ban :P.

what's the big deal anyway? all i want to do is help keep cheaters off legitimate servers...and in a game that locks in the server files to the GSP, all servers are legitimate.

i blame evenbalance for being retarded. they should have had PBBan functionality built right into their software...like valve anti cheat...but better lol.
Battlefield: Bad Company 2
maelstrom.nuclearfallout.net:19567
CrudBurst
New to forums
New to forums

Post by CrudBurst »

As a quick update, I have (since my last post in this thread) disabled autobalance. As a result, my 24 man server (Chicago) has been running in Hardcore, PB on and streaming to PBBans, and auto balance off.

Random client disconnects have gone way down and the server has been full for most of this time period. So...my observation is: If you get past client issues with punkbuster, any remaining issues (particularly between PB and the server) are minimal. Additionally, the player base has been generally good at balancing the teams themselves.