server population after last client patch

bacon
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Re: server population after last client patch

Post by bacon »

I had the same problem the past few days, granted we had switched server settings around a bit. But we went back to what we originally had, except we turned PB off, FF on. Then it seemed to have been a matter of us having to get everybody in the clan on, now the server is sitting 24/24. (For a while there I had wondered if everybody wanted a 32 slot server, and considered upgrading.)

But now its back to normal so I'm just going to leave it be until we finally bother to get a server banner. :P
Jack the Smack
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Jack the Smack »

Had an empty server for a few days, then randomly last night it picked up and has been sitting at 32 since 6AM. Just randomly droves of people join and keep it going for hours. If we had google style analytics that would be great. :P
maelstrom
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by maelstrom »

i blame EA/DICE's crappy server browser/history. it's so buggy it's hard to find a server you've just joined and like. if the "history" tab worked as intended (maybe keeping the last 20-30 or so servers you joined listed), then a lot of the problems would be solved.

once a few players start joining, then the rest trickle in no problem, but patching a new RX server version or changing some server variable and restarting is basically death to your server for a few days lol. ridiculous.
Battlefield: Bad Company 2
maelstrom.nuclearfallout.net:19567
Johnny
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Johnny »

Yup, it's really ridiculous at this point. I turned PB back off and it took a bit but we had people join finally and it stays rather full. Until they fix this confusion it will be a challenge for everyone to maintain a steady server.

In my opinion, PB should be required for all servers. It would make things much easier. I mean, what type of server admin wants to be over run by cheaters? I fully understand that nothing is foolproof but I am sure that everyone could agree that some protection is better than none?

Maybe they will attempt to patch this soon...I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Jack the Smack
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Jack the Smack »

Johnny wrote: In my opinion, PB should be required for all servers. It would make things much easier. I mean, what type of server admin wants to be over run by cheaters? I fully understand that nothing is foolproof but I am sure that everyone could agree that some protection is better than none?
For ranked servers it normally is, but they're trying to fix problems right now.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

DICE told us that they aren't currently requiring PB because they want to sort out the other crash issues (on their side) first, and don't want it muddying the waters in crash/bug reports. We'll just have to cross our fingers that they get the other crash issues worked out soon (and keep sending them bug reports, so they can!) :)
Johnny
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Johnny »

I realize that PB is usually required for ranked servers, my point was that it should be required for all servers, ranked or not ranked:)
Jack the Smack
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Jack the Smack »

Johnny wrote:I realize that PB is usually required for ranked servers, my point was that it should be required for all servers, ranked or not ranked:)
That's just removing choice from users and server admins, at the benefit of no one.
maelstrom
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by maelstrom »

i had a full server all last night then when i check on it today, all the users got emptied out around 12pm PST. now i have to wait for people to slowly trickle back

another issue is the server browser. the search function is worthless. i could not find my own server located about 40 miles away from me with the search function. only parameters specified were game type, map, ranked, no password. my server was full at the time (i was playing on it and rejoining after a freeze), but i couldn't find it on the server browser lol (was just trying to see if it would pop up). that is to say, if it was not in my favorites, i would not be able to find my own server. wtf????????
Battlefield: Bad Company 2
maelstrom.nuclearfallout.net:19567
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

The browser definitely still has issues right now, both in not showing all servers and in not showing pings. This is something that DICE is working on (they're finding ways to shrink the list that clients have to download).
Jack the Smack
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Jack the Smack »

Edge100x wrote:The browser definitely still has issues right now, both in not showing all servers and in not showing pings. This is something that DICE is working on (they're finding ways to shrink the list that clients have to download).
The ping issue can be resolved by running the game as administrator.
Chenzo
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Chenzo »

maelstrom wrote:can you check something for me please, edge?

on my control panel, my server shows up as being online

ingame, however, i cannot find my server through the browser and in my "favorite servers" tab, my server is grayed out like it's offline.

perhaps that is why i have nobody on my server ever since the update, whereas before, it was constantly filled.
This is the problem our server is having now. I noticed in my history tab, that if I turned the punkbuster filter on, my server grayed out. If I unchecked it, it was there.

Punkbuster IS running on our server. (I can even see the evenbalance queries in the server log.)
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Chenzo wrote:I noticed in my history tab, that if I turned the punkbuster filter on, my server grayed out. If I unchecked it, it was there.

Punkbuster IS running on our server. (I can even see the evenbalance queries in the server log.)
When the Punkbuster setting is checked in the client browser search box, the game looks for servers without PB. This is a known glitch in the game right now (that we mention in a bunch of places here in the forums) and is a big part of why PB-enabled servers are so much less popular than PB-disabled servers.
Chenzo
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Chenzo »

Edge100x wrote:
Chenzo wrote:I noticed in my history tab, that if I turned the punkbuster filter on, my server grayed out. If I unchecked it, it was there.

When the Punkbuster setting is checked in the client browser search box, the game looks for servers without PB. This is a known glitch in the game right now (that we mention in a bunch of places here in the forums) and is a big part of why PB-enabled servers are so much less popular than PB-disabled servers.

Hmmmm... it wasn't problem before. (We had been running PB since we got our server, and it was full most of the time.)

Ok, I'll disable it and see what happens.
Surf314
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Surf314 »

We have a server through another GSP that we cancelled for one here due to bad performance. Since we still have some time left we rolled it back to R8 and turned off PB as an experiment. This server now spontaneously fills and has been rocketing up in the rankings. I know the new updates are supposed to fix the PB issue but is there any way to roll back to R8 in the meantime?

Right now we have an awesome server through you guys that is unseedable and a server that fills pretty easy that has terrible hit detection, rubber-banding, lag when full, and spontaneously crashes. So we play on that one.