Set Unlocks to "Disabled" for BC2 LAN Party

PowersGaming
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Set Unlocks to "Disabled" for BC2 LAN Party

Post by PowersGaming »

We've got a LAN party coming up at the end of May, and we're wondering if there's a way to set unlocks to "disabled" just for that weekend. We'd like for everybody will have equal weapons in a concerted effort to make the event more competitive.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Set Unlocks to "Disabled" for BC2 LAN Party

Post by Edge100x »

You can turn off ranked mode by unchecking "Run ranked?", but I don't believe that grants all unlocks (if someone has seen differently, please chime in). All of the other variables are exposed through "Easy setup" already, and I don't see anything else that might relate :|
PowersGaming
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by PowersGaming »

yep.. running "unranked" makes no difference. You think DICE will ever allow us to have the option to disable unlocks ?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

I know that DICE has been given a ton of suggestions from the competitive community and I am sure that this is one of them. Some of the other suggestions include adjustable ticket counts, better end-of-round summaries, better logs showing more events, and the ability to restart the map without completely reloading it. Other community suggestions that have already been implemented include round counts, server queries that show scores, and other events, so I do think that they're listening.
PowersGaming
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by PowersGaming »

I appreciate the fact that you're listening as well. We're sitting on the threshold of what the future holds for gaming: no dedicated server files. Those days are over. From here on out it will be companies like NFO that host game servers (I prefer this scenario over something like Battle.net).

Our personal control over servers is therefore severely limited, which serves DICE (and the gaming public) well, b/c all online game servers will be equal (for the most part). In many ways, this is a good idea; you join a server and know exactly what you're getting into. And having to lvl in order to get all weapons/points will generate continued interest in BC2 for years to come. It will also keep game server companies alive; without you guys the gaming community cannot exist.

But the "competitive community", as you refer to it, is quite a different endeavor. PAX had unlocks "enabled", which meant teams that had all unlocks had a distinct advantage over teams that did not, and the latter players complained fiercely, with just reason. It would be like playing CS at a tournament but you can't buy an AWP unless you're lvl 35 lol.

For LAN (or online) tournament play, unlocks must be disabled, and all ranks (levels) must disappear. This is the only way to maintain an honest, competitive environment in which each participant is equal.

I'd appreciate it if you'd pass this on to DICE, or give me a link that I can post on.

Thanks !
Jason