Information on upcoming BF:BC2 version R12

Edge100x
Founder
Founder
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Information on upcoming BF:BC2 version R12

Post by Edge100x »

http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/bc2- ... 12-qa.html
We have written a small manual for server administrators. It is available worldwide here: http://static.cdn.ea.com/dice/u/f/bfbc2 ... trator.zip

And here is the changelog.

Server - Some potential sources for lag/rubberbanding have been eliminated
Server - The old reserved slots has been replaced by a kick-on-demand system like in BF2
Server - Log file for server admins: all remote admin interface commands/events are logged
Server - Log file for server admins: major server events + all chat messages are logged
Server - Idle kick is controllable
Server - Profanity filter can be disabled
Server - Teamkill-kick system is controllable
Server - Ticket counts and bleed rate are controllable per-level
Server - Infantry only mode available per-level
Server - Initial spawn delay and respawn delay are adjustable
Server - Server description can be up to 400 characters, and use "|" for line breaks
Server - Banlist can contain up to 10.000 entries
Server - reduced latency in packet handling

Admin Interface - fixed the player.onKill spam that occasionally happened
Admin Interface - ensured that player.onJoin events always report the player name
Admin Interface - events triggered when people spawn
Admin Interface - much more info on kills
Admin Interface - detailed stats are reported at end-of-round

Gameplay - Various minor level bugfixes
Gameplay - Helicopter handling has been tweaked
Gameplay - Weapon tweaks have been implemented based on PC public feedback
Gameplay - Fixed technical hang when a crate was armed outside of the combat area
Gameplay - "Victory is near" message was shown for the wrong team on Valparaíso, this has been fixed
Gameplay - Countermeasures can be fired when driving a helicopter
Gameplay - The brightness of the pilot view in the Russian helicopter has been reduced
Gameplay - Advanced Spotting scope works better
Gameplay - Knifing people in the back works again (we backed out the change that we had done for Server R11)

Server Browser - Servers are sorted into 3 categories: Normal, Modified, Hardcore depending on their settings
Server Browser – Added support for retrieving update progress
Server Browser - Now refreshes information
Server Browser - Join queue system when attempting to join a full server
Server Browser - all settings are automatically saved between sessions
Server Browser - Pings are sent via an alternate mechanism, which should work for non-Administrator users as well

Client - Fixed DX9 issue, which likely caused graphics glitches and perhaps crashes
Client - Fixed some crashes
Client - Toggle/hold crouch is user controllable
Client - Toggle/hold zoom is user controllable
Client - Vsync bugfixed for DX10/DX11
Client - Rewritten how settings are written to disk; this should reduce/eliminate the spawn lag
Client - Fixed bug where a player could join a server before the stats has been downloaded causing faulty stats in "EOR- unlock progression"-screen
Client - New chat system allows chatting when dead (but not during end of round) and keeps a 100 lines log
Client - Improved Play Now functionality
Client - Removed K/D ratio and Skill Level filters
Client - Any points you get while being dead will be added to your score
Client - Reduced negative mouse acceleration
Client - More informative disconnection/kick reasons
Syph
A regular
A regular

Re: Information on upcoming BF:BC2 version R12

Post by Syph »

8O

Holy a real patch! I can't wait to see if everything works as intended :o
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

I hope that "Play now" improvements include finding servers with low pings, and servers with more than one other player, to stop us from being thrown into EU servers with one other guy ;).
Syph
A regular
A regular

Post by Syph »

Edge100x wrote:I hope that "Play now" improvements include finding servers with low pings, and servers with more than one other player, to stop us from being thrown into EU servers with one other guy ;).
The thing that bothers me about the improvments upon reading the change log(but I can see why they did it ) is that the play now will only put people in "normal" servers and exclude 'modifyed' and 'hardcore' ones :(

So, in my case I won't be seeing anyone from play now anymore... (if I ever did)

I do like the new settings that they are now letting us control (start timer, idle kicking, conquest bleed rate) all of those are a welcome change!
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Syph wrote:The thing that bothers me about the improvments upon reading the change log(but I can see why they did it ) is that the play now will only put people in "normal" servers and exclude 'modifyed' and 'hardcore' ones :(
I don't see that in there, but I wouldn't be too surprised if they did it.
Syph
A regular
A regular

Post by Syph »

Edge100x wrote:
Syph wrote:The thing that bothers me about the improvments upon reading the change log(but I can see why they did it ) is that the play now will only put people in "normal" servers and exclude 'modifyed' and 'hardcore' ones :(
I don't see that in there, but I wouldn't be too surprised if they did it.
It's in the "BFBC2 PC Server Administration" pdf. Pg 9
Normal/Modified/Hardcore, and Play Now
Play Now is mainly used by casual players. As such, it will only send players to Normal servers. In addition, it will attempt to send players to servers which are not full, not empty, and in the same part of the world. Plus, it will attempt to pair up players with other players of equal skill.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Ah, ok. That's more information than they've released on Play now in the past, and it's good to know. These statements suggest to me a couple of tricks:

* When trying to fill up a server, it might make sense to have create a second player profile when trying to fill up a server that is at the lowest rank, based on that matching-players-to-others-with-the-same-skill bit. Most "casual players" are going to have a low rank.

* Disabling the idle timer will probably become a common occurrence, with people setting up their clients to just sit in their server for a long period of time so that they don't show as empty.
Sim
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Sim »

Will you be adding some of these commands to the "Easy Setup" page?

Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Sim wrote:Will you be adding some of these commands to the "Easy Setup" page?

Yes, these will all be added.

Also, it's not mentioned in the changelog (just in the docs), but the server name will also be adjustable in R12/R13 without restarting the server.

R13 docs: http://static.cdn.ea.com/dice/u/f/bfbc2 ... trator.zip
Surf314
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Surf314 »

I wish they had map settings dynamic depending on number of players. Does anyone know when the update will be released? Also will changing tickets/respawn/etc have you list as modified?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Surf314 wrote:I wish they had map settings dynamic depending on number of players. Does anyone know when the update will be released?
Right now the release date is still being defined, as they continue to chase down bugs. It won't be this week, though.
Also will changing tickets/respawn/etc have you list as modified?
The docs indicate that disabling vehicles will make the server "Modified", but they do not say that any of the other levelVars will cause it.
PowersGaming
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by PowersGaming »

Server - The old reserved slots has been replaced by a kick-on-demand system like in BF2

Any idea how this will be implemented ?

Hopefully we can have a list of players in this "reserved slot list" but the number of reserved slots will not be subtracted from the total number of players allowed to join the server. That's the problem now.

Also wondering how the server will choose who gets kicked. Would be nice if it choose guys whose points were low, AND were not in a clan. Those are the parameters that our admins are using at the moment to allow players to join.

I must say I'm impressed with all the effort and time that DICE (and NFO) continue to devote to this game. :wink:
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

PowersGaming wrote:Server - The old reserved slots has been replaced by a kick-on-demand system like in BF2

Any idea how this will be implemented ?

Hopefully we can have a list of players in this "reserved slot list" but the number of reserved slots will not be subtracted from the total number of players allowed to join the server. That's the problem now.
It will kick an existing regular player when a player with a reserved slot tries to join. Here's the documentation section on tis:
VIP players, reserved slots, and the join queue

Older versions of the BFBC2 PC servers had a system where slots could be reserved permanently. This has been abandoned in favor of a kick-on-demand system (similar to that of BFBC2). In addition, there is a join queue.

Defining VIP players

The server has an internal list of VIP players. Upon startup, the server reads it from a file named reservedslotslist.txt. The list of VIP players can also be edited on-the-fly through the use of the reservedSlots.* commands.

The list of VIP players can contain up to 500 entries.

When a non-VIP player joins a server…

If there are slots left, the player will be able to join directly.

Otherwise, the player is placed in a join queue. (“You are person 3 out of 3 in the queue for this server.”)

When a VIP player joins a server…

If there are slots left, the player will be able to join directly – just like a non-VIP player.

If there are no slots left, the server will randomly choose a non-VIP player, and kick him/her to make room for the VIP player.

If the server happens to be full of other VIP players, then the VIP player will be placed in a join queue

reservedslotslist.txt format

Each line in the file lists a soldier name.
Also wondering how the server will choose who gets kicked. Would be nice if it choose guys whose points were low, AND were not in a clan. Those are the parameters that our admins are using at the moment to allow players to join.
It sounds like it's random. I can't think of a way to really get around that with an external tool, either =\. But, at least it is more reasonable than the current setup in R11.
I must say I'm impressed with all the effort and time that DICE (and NFO) continue to devote to this game. :wink:
:)
disconnect
A regular
A regular

Post by disconnect »

Silly of them to announce something, then be 2 weeks late, with not a peep (or tweet in this case).
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

It does seem a bit silly. I'll ask them if they wouldn't mind sending an official update to the community.