BC2 on LAN ?

PowersGaming
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

BC2 on LAN ?

Post by PowersGaming »

We hosted a BC2 LAN event back in May, and had 24 attendees. When we tried to connect to our BC2 server, only 10 or so could get in at one time. When more players tried to connect, one of two things happened:

Either the existing in-game players were randomly kicked as the new player connected, or the new player trying to connect got that "Network Disconnection Error".

This is not a problem on the part of NFO, nor is it our connection/bandwidth/hardware etc.. We've done this same event at the same location for 12 years and have had no problems. We even "tested" it with all 24 players having no problem jumping into a Crysis Wars pub.

A few months later, a friend of ours hosted a BC2 event downtown at a local Hotel. He purchased 5 static IP's, and used separate routers/switches to get groups of 8 connected to the same BC2 server (total 30). Worked well...

Just wondering if anybody out there has had experience with this sort of thing recently; hoping that perhaps a DICE patch has fixed the problem.
Zboss
New to forums
New to forums

Re: BC2 on LAN ?

Post by Zboss »

One thing to check... Make sure uPnP is disabled. BC2 hates anything to do with it, and randon disconnects via additional packets seem to be on the up.

Give it a go.

Z
PowersGaming
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by PowersGaming »

Zboss wrote:Make sure uPnP is disabled.
Thanks for the input; we tried it both ways... We tried everything under the sun actually; including sending somebody up to the local Fry's (computer retail giant) to purchase a new router. The several routers we use are in the $350/range so all kinds of options. I could go on and on.. This has to be a EA/DICE/BC2 problem...

I wonder if it's some kind of protection on their part against "piracy"; limiting the number of connections from the same IP.
Nick|NFo
Former staff
Former staff

Post by Nick|NFo »

This is very familiar, just like other games.

"Go to your battlefield folder and create a new shortcut for BFBC2Game.exe and add +clientport 270xx (where xx is between 24 and 38 I think)"

Found it on the EA site. Keep it in mind that it bypasses the updater, so just use the regular shortcut when you want/need to update.

/waves and *vanishes*
-Nick
PowersGaming
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by PowersGaming »

Thanks Nick; that was one of the first things we tried.. Didn't work :( Everything we tried ended up with the same results as described above.

I've posted this up on the EA Forums both here and UK. Lot of ppl having this same problem. I believe it has to be some kind of EA server side software that they've implemented to protect themselves against pirated copies. Or maybe the servers themselves can't handle over 10 connections from the same IP ? That makes no sense.

I'm no server guru but it just seems like if you buy the game you should be able to play it with your friends, and not from separate houses right ?
Nick|NFo
Former staff
Former staff

Post by Nick|NFo »

BOO! Sounded too easy. Ha.

Well I'll just chalk it up to another stupid EA thing. I don't play their games anymore, but figured maybe I could help when I had a spare moment. Good luck with EA and maybe they will hear the people's cries.
-Nick
PowersGaming
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by PowersGaming »

Appreciate it greatly brah... Hope life is going well for ya.