Server Restarting...

Sepultaris
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Server Restarting...

Post by Sepultaris »

My BFBC2 Server has restarted twice today kicking everyone. I was told that this is an EA backend issue. I was wondering if anyone else has been having the same issue as I was also told that this is common for this game.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Server Restarting...

Post by Edge100x »

This is pretty common for BC2 and MoH, because whenever the connection to Plasma (BC2) or Blaze (MoH) is dropped, the server is designed to kick all players from the server.

Any number of things can cause the connection to Plasma/Blaze to be dropped, but the most common one is a temporary routing problem on the internet. For instance, EA has on occasion had problems with certain transit providers, leading to packet loss to some servers.

This has been a point of much frustration for all the authorized RSPs, and has been discussed quite a bit internally. Why DICE/EA chose to do this, instead of just running the server in unranked mode and disallowing new player connections until the connection can be restored, is not known.

There has also been an annoying (software) crashing bug in BC2 since the release of R26, and that could have led to your server truly crashing. If you ask for me specifically, I can take a close look at the logs to see if that was the culprit for you. (If so, then DICE is already working on it, but we'd be glad for any more troubleshooting information that you can provide to us to give to them, such as events that were occurring in the server at the time.)
Sepultaris
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Sepultaris »

I had opened a support ticket for this but was told that there was no obvious problems with the server. If you would like to take it upon yourself take take a close look at it i wont try to stop you. It's just frustrating to see my server fill up with people only to see EA's jacked up backend decimate it. It's hard starting a new clan and trying to recruit when your game server is this unstable. Do you think server location could have anything to do with this, or is it worldwide? You'd think they would have these kinks worked out by now but i guess not, however it's not really a surprise seeing as this IS an EA game.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

When I say common, I mean that disconnections due to Plasma failures happen to many servers maybe once every few days to a week, but more frequently since the release of Vietnam. Thsee problems don't seem to be location-related, and all RSPs have seen them happen, so they're also not provider-specific (though InterNAP does make our side of the bandwidth quite stable, which minimizes the occurrences as much as possible). Sometimes, instead of being a routing problem, one of Plasma's servers goes down, or Plasma goes entirely down -- the result is the same.

Right now, the crash bug in the game is actually just as common, so there's a decent chance of that being the culprit for you.

I'll take a look at recent requests for yours and take a closer look for you.
Sepultaris
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Sepultaris »

So this happening twice within a few hours of each other could have just been a fluke? I hope that's the case because if this is what i have to look forward to, I'm not sure if it's worth the time, effort and money. No offense to NFO, I only have good things to say about you guys, I just wish EA would get off their a** and fix this stuff. Or at least figure out some way to minimize it. Sorry for ranting just a little frustrated to see my server fill up and then *bam* all gone... not good times...
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Twice within a few hours is an anomaly, as interruptions typically happen much less often. These two events were likely related in some way -- the same routing problem might have happened, for instance.
Sepultaris
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Sepultaris »

Ok lets hope it chills out then now that it's had its fit. Thanks for taking a look at that for me. It's not too often I see such a high level of customer service. Kudos
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

You're welcome, and please let us know again the next time it happens, if it does happen again. I like to keep tabs on these and investigate them when possible.
Sepultaris
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Sepultaris »

Will do... :)
Sepultaris
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Sepultaris »

It's still dropping players... :(
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

I'm sorry for the confusion -- I meant that you should contact us through the support request system here if you see it happen again. We respond very quickly there, and we can look at your specific server.
Sepultaris
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Sepultaris »

NM must've been that DDoS I got a message about in my control panel.