Looking to talk to Gmod gameserver owner - 32 players / TTT

Westingham
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Looking to talk to Gmod gameserver owner - 32 players / TTT

Post by Westingham »

I currently have a VPS through NFOservers with three cores and 7 GB of RAM. I've setup a Gmod/TTT server with CS:S and TF2 content, ULX as an admin system, 20-30 maps and a handful of addons that are mostly through the Steam Workshop.

The problem I run into is the VPS, almost randomly, choking while Gmod suddenly takes up 100% CPU. I was previously running TTT Damagelogs (http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1416843) and Spectator Deathmatch (http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1426936) but I recently removed them thinking that they were the cause of high CPU usage.

My questions are these:
- is there anybody out there with a 32 player Gmod/TTT server via NFOservers?
- which admin system do you use (ULX, Evolve, etc.)?
- do you use TTT Damagelogs or Spectator Deathmatch?
- have you run into a similar situation with apparently random 100% CPU usage?

I'm looking for suggestions and advice on how to handle these problems.

Thank you!
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: Looking to talk to Gmod gameserver owner - 32 players / TTT

Post by soja »

Lower your tickrate to 33. I have a 36 slot TTT on a managed dedi here that takes up to 100% CPU. Since there is virtualization overhead on your system, you don't have the resources to run 32 slot 66 tick TTT.

EDIT: It is worth noting, that out-of-the-box for some bizarre reason, GMOD clients are set to 30 updates per second, and unless you adjust them using commands on your server, clients will feel no difference by you lowering the tickrate.
Not a NFO employee
Westingham
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Westingham »

soja wrote:Lower your tickrate to 33. I have a 36 slot TTT on a managed dedi here that takes up to 100% CPU. Since there is virtualization overhead on your system, you don't have the resources to run 32 slot 66 tick TTT.

EDIT: It is worth noting, that out-of-the-box for some bizarre reason, GMOD clients are set to 30 updates per second, and unless you adjust them using commands on your server, clients will feel no difference by you lowering the tickrate.
I've already lowered the tickrate to 33 using the -tickrate option when I launch the server.

Could you explain more about the updates per second you mentioned?
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

What CPU is your VDS on?

The GMOD client is shipped with something that sets the cl_cmdrate and cl_updaterate to 30 each time it is launched. These settings make the client only send/receive 30 updates per second. The server may still do more world simulations per second, but data is still sent by and to clients at a reduced rate.

You can adjust this with server commands, for example:
sv_mincmdrate
sv_minupdaterate
will force every client that connects to send/receive this amount of updates at a minimum, overriding the cl_ commands.

You can also use sv_maxcmdrate and sv_maxupdaterate if for some reason you wanted to reduce the amount of updates your server sends/receives lower than the tickrate(There are very rare cases where this should be done, and this is not one of them).
Not a NFO employee
Westingham
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Westingham »

soja wrote:What CPU is your VDS on?

The GMOD client is shipped with something that sets the cl_cmdrate and cl_updaterate to 30 each time it is launched. These settings make the client only send/receive 30 updates per second. The server may still do more world simulations per second, but data is still sent by and to clients at a reduced rate.

sv_mincmdrate
sv_minupdaterate
will force every client that connects to send/receive this amount of updates at a minimum, overriding the cl_ commands.

You can also use sv_maxcmdrate and sv_maxupdaterate if for some reason you wanted to reduce the amount of updates your server sends/receives lower than the tickrate(There are very rare cases where this should be done, and this is not one of them).
According to the NFO folks, my VDS is using this: http://ark.intel.com/products/75279/
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

Westingham wrote:

sv_mincmdrate
sv_minupdaterate

According to the NFO folks, my VDS is using this: http://ark.intel.com/products/75279/
Yeah that chip should be able to handle a 33 tick 32 slot GMOD server perfectly fine. Can you post your command line?
Not a NFO employee
Westingham
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Westingham »

soja wrote:
Westingham wrote:

sv_mincmdrate
sv_minupdaterate

Yeah that chip should be able to handle a 33 tick 32 slot GMOD server perfectly fine. Can you post your command line?
-game garrysmod -strictportbind -ip X.X.X.X -port 37015 +host_workshop_collection XXX -authkey XXX +clientport 37005 +tv_port 37020 +gamemode terrortown +map ttt_minecraft_b5 +servercfgfile gmod-server.cfg -maxplayers 32 -tickrate 33"