Server is having random freezes

Svn
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Server is having random freezes

Post by Svn »

Hello, I have a 50 slot garrysmod server with Higher CPU priority runnning darkrp.

I came across this issue when I first bought my server. It was a 12 slot and at the time I thought that it was to be expected since it was a cheap server. So then I decide to upgrade it. Not much later and the server is freezing up again .

I edited the server.cfg do reduce something but something was wrong. sv_minrate kept resetting its self. I set it to 20000 but it kept resetting.

These are the things I was editing btw:
fps_max 260
sv_minrate 100000
sv_maxrate 0
net_splitpacket_maxrate 45000

If someone could help me fix this I would greatly appreciate it.

-Svn
Vanderburg
Former staff
Former staff

Re: Server is having random freezes

Post by Vanderburg »

Higher CPU priority is not something we generally recommend customers spend money on. It only benefits you when there are multiple servers fighting over the same CPU usage, but machines are underloaded to avoid this issue. Have you checked to see if you are using 100% CPU usage from the Server Control tab of your control panel?

With regards to your rates, do you also have the "set high sv_minrate automatically" option deselected from the File manager tab of your control panel?
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

fps_max is no longer supported by gmod, you can remove that from the command line. Do you have a VDS or is your server in the standard rental system? What CPU is your server on(can be seen on the "Server Health" tab in the control panel)?

There is really no reason to change sv_minrate to a low value, it will only allow people to run poor rate settings that will have a negative impact on their gameplay in your server. A rate setting of 20000 on a 50 slot server would be horrible.

Also, what do you mean by freezing, and how are you determining it is freezing? The most likely cause is a poorly written addon, especially something with SQL queries. If they are not threaded, if the sql query takes time to complete, it will stop the game server from processing anything until the query is finished. Unfortunately a lot of addons are still written in the way that can freeze your server.
Not a NFO employee
Svn
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Svn »

Vanderburg wrote:Higher CPU priority is not something we generally recommend customers spend money on. It only benefits you when there are multiple servers fighting over the same CPU usage, but machines are underloaded to avoid this issue. Have you checked to see if you are using 100% CPU usage from the Server Control tab of your control panel?

With regards to your rates, do you also have the "set high sv_minrate automatically" option deselected from the File manager tab of your control panel?
Ah!
Yes I see it now, sorry for wasting your time with that.

And to answer your question no its at a normal percentage.

Thank you.
Svn
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Svn »

soja wrote:fps_max is no longer supported by gmod, you can remove that from the command line. Do you have a VDS or is your server in the standard rental system? What CPU is your server on(can be seen on the "Server Health" tab in the control panel)?

There is really no reason to change sv_minrate to a low value, it will only allow people to run poor rate settings that will have a negative impact on their gameplay in your server. A rate setting of 20000 on a 50 slot server would be horrible.

Also, what do you mean by freezing, and how are you determining it is freezing? The most likely cause is a poorly written addon, especially something with SQL queries. If they are not threaded, if the sql query takes time to complete, it will stop the game server from processing anything until the query is finished. Unfortunately a lot of addons are still written in the way that can freeze your server.
Umm well here is the info from the health tab:
Your server is currently being hosted on a Intel Xeon E3-1270v3 (Haswell 3.5ghz) node with 4 total processor cores and 32 gigabytes of RAM. The database code for this node is chicago-quad35-h-10-m1j; its OS is Windows.

These are the current stats on your entire machine (not just your game server), based on the last 5 minute period:
CPU usage: 6.45%
Free physical memory: 21154mb
Machine uptime: 10 days, 22 hours, 54 minutes, 17 seconds

Your server has high priority on this machine.

And to answer your other question it freezes up randomly by acting like the server is down and the time out screen pops up in the right hand corner. And then about 10 seconds later it unfreezes.

Anyways thank you for the advice. I will surely try out what you said.

-Svn
Svn
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Svn »

Is there a way I can somehow prevent it from freezing. I changed up my settings a bit and it still is freezing up :(.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

Svn wrote:Is there a way I can somehow prevent it from freezing. I changed up my settings a bit and it still is freezing up :(.
What addons do you have installed?
Not a NFO employee
Svn
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Svn »

soja wrote:
Svn wrote:Is there a way I can somehow prevent it from freezing. I changed up my settings a bit and it still is freezing up :(.
What addons do you have installed?
In that case I have ulx, ulib, utime for an admin module.
I have everything from this collection: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =410673908

For anything that uses an sql data base I have:
https://scriptfodder.com/scripts/view/231
And of course my darkrp server is linked to an sql database :P.

The weird thing is that I've been having this issue before I had linked anything with a database.

Anyways if you need anymore info just ask.

Thank you btw for your help.