Lag Spikes with high players

Jake
A regular
A regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Lag Spikes with high players

Post by Jake »

Hey guys, I have a few questions about server performance and how it works. I have a Jailbreak server with 50 player slots, and it seems to lag on the server side at around 35 players. At first I thought it was due to the low cores I had, I was running on a 4-core VDS at the time. I recently upgraded to a 6 core VDS, but I'm still seeing lag at around the 35 player mark. The other servers I have run lag free even when it lags. (Deathrun server with 10-15 players on, DarkRP with 5-10 also) Does srcds have multithreading at this point? I've done some reading and I have seen it said both ways, I'm not sure what to make of it or what difference it makes even if it does have the support. I'm currently running Jailbreak and DarkRP at 66 tick, and I'd like to keep it this way if possible, but if there are no other options I might lower to 33. My overall VDS cpu usage runs at 30-40% when the server lags, I have over 2000mb ram free on the VDS. I've thought that it could have something to do with how the players are so close on a Jailbreak server, unlike DarkRP where everyone is spread out. I also run a few other servers on the VDS, but for the most part they are empty. These servers may reserve cores or effect the performance in some way? Perhaps causes more stress or physics usage while everyone is so close together? Anyways, just trying to get some extra performance because I'd like to run 50/50 players without lag! Thanks in advance.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Re: Lag Spikes with high players

Post by kraze »

Garry's mod, as with most games will predominantly use a single core. Generally speaking, once that core is maxed out you can start seeing performance problems. Reducing your tickrate is definitely a solid option, and one that many choose to do. For a game like Garry's mod which normally isn't fast paced a higher tickrate becomes less useful. I'd recommend dropping it down to 50 to see if that provides any relief for the server and go from there.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
Jake
A regular
A regular

Post by Jake »

Would a faster cpu speed help? I saw that I'm on 6 cores of a Dual Intel Xeon E5-2690v2 (Ivy Bridge-E 3.0ghz) and in the dedicated server offerings they go up to 4GHz. 33% improvement in theory?
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

A faster core could help, if CPU usage is your problem. Though, you can't compare the speed of one processor to another in a separate generation. We talk a bit about that here.

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=12560
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!