Suggestion: Show print() and other Lua stuff

My Dime Has Come
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Suggestion: Show print() and other Lua stuff

Post by My Dime Has Come »

Hi there,

I'm a Lua developer and I sat confused for 10 minutes until I came to the conclusion that my debug and startup code wasn't showing in the NFO console because the NFO Console doesn't seem to record certain Lua things like print(), Msg, etc.

I was wondering if we could have the NFO console read everything like console.log or have options to enable to read eveyrthing and display it in the NFO console since it is very bothersome for me to stop teh server, download the console.log, then start the server up then. Was wondering if we can get this in.

Thanks!
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Suggestion: Show print() and other Lua stuff

Post by Edge100x »

Do you mean the rcon tool on the "Server control" page? If so, it depends on the streaming rcon data from the server and will show exactly what it is sent. You will need for your plugins to print data in a different way so that it is logged and repeated through rcon, to be able to see it there.

The console.log is another way to see output, and generally shows more. On Managed Linux servers, there is also a streaming console log tool that shows everything.
My Dime Has Come
New to forums
New to forums

Edge100x wrote:Do you mean the rcon tool on the "Server control" page? If so, it depends on the streaming rcon data from the server and will show exactly what it is sent. You will need for your plugins to print data in a different way so that it is logged and repeated through rcon, to be able to see it there.

The console.log is another way to see output, and generally shows more. On Managed Linux servers, there is also a streaming console log tool that shows everything.
Ya, I'm talking about the "Server Control" page. I' was wondering if there would be a way to have a full console that is like srcds and gives all info.
My Dime Has Come
New to forums
New to forums

I also notice that sometimes messages will even stop printing to the console (and yes, I made sure it was unpaused) even when using ServerLog. This seems to happen after keeping the tab open for a long amount of time.
My Dime Has Come
New to forums
New to forums

Any updates? I can't keep shutting my server down just to check the console.log for a PrintTable I use, just to start it up and repeat the process until I get what I need. I really can't keep doing this.
My Dime Has Come
New to forums
New to forums

bump
My Dime Has Come
New to forums
New to forums

bump again, I can't keep shutting the server down just to check PrintTable() and print() debugging
My Dime Has Come
New to forums
New to forums

-_- bump
hiimcody1
Staff
Staff

Post by hiimcody1 »

A solution to this was already provided when Edge100x replied. Specifically:
Edge100x wrote:You will need for your plugins to print data in a different way so that it is logged and repeated through rcon, to be able to see it there.
My Dime Has Come
New to forums
New to forums

hiimcody1 wrote:A solution to this was already provided when Edge100x replied. Specifically:
Edge100x wrote:You will need for your plugins to print data in a different way so that it is logged and repeated through rcon, to be able to see it there.
There are no plugins. This is a NFO problem and ONLY a NFO problem. This needs to be fixed/updated by NFO... :?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

There are no plugins. This is a NFO problem and ONLY a NFO problem. This needs to be fixed/updated by NFO... :?
Our rcon tool is working correctly; there is no problem with it, and it does not need to be fixed. It displays everything that the server sends to it. No other tool that uses the game's remote logging facility will show more than ours does.

You must be running plugins, or you would not be asking about Lua commands. Your real problem is that your plugins are writing messages to the server console, so they aren't sent out through the game's logging facility like real log entries being generated by the engine. It looks like you can adjust your plugins to write out real log entries by switching them from using print() to ServerLog(). Or, you could write your debug messages to a separate file.
My Dime Has Come
New to forums
New to forums

Edge100x wrote:
Our rcon tool is working correctly; there is no problem with it, and it does not need to be fixed. It displays everything that the server sends to it. No other tool that uses the game's remote logging facility will show more than ours does.

You must be running plugins, or you would not be asking about Lua commands. Your real problem is that your plugins are writing messages to the server console, so they aren't sent out through the game's logging facility like real log entries being generated by the engine. It looks like you can adjust your plugins to write out real log entries by switching them from using print() to ServerLog(). Or, you could write your debug messages to a separate file.
You don't understand what I need. I don't want ServerLog() I want to use print() and PrintTable() (PrintTable being the most important) and the quote "No other tool that uses the game's remote logging facility will show more than ours does." is a lie. I'm sorry I love NFO but that is a big fat lie. Your logging shows everything BUT print() and PrintTable(). I want to be able to see print() and PrintTable(). Can you please do that? That is all I want is to see PrintTable() and print(). I've never seen another hoster that doesn't show print() and PrintTable(). It is a simple yes or no question.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

My Dime Has Come wrote:You don't understand what I need. I don't want ServerLog() I want to use print() and PrintTable() (PrintTable being the most important)
You're welcome to use whatever you want!

Just understand that the game doesn't output print() or PrintTable() through standard logging facilities. Which means that you won't see their output through anything that uses the "logaddress" facility, as we do (and the game has no other remote logging facility than that).
and the quote "No other tool that uses the game's remote logging facility will show more than ours does." is a lie. I'm sorry I love NFO but that is a big fat lie. Your logging shows everything BUT print() and PrintTable().
Again:

- Our rcon tool just shows what the game sends it. It configures logaddress_add, then shows what it receives. We're hiding absolutely nothing in the output of our tool.
- No other hoster using the logaddress facility will be able to show print() or PrintTable() output, period. That's because the game doesn't write this output to standard logs or stream it to listeners.
- If you want the game to log something specific -- and send it out through logaddress to tools like ours -- you can use ServerLog().
- If you want to see output to a file, you can use one of the file-writing facilities.
- You are always welcome to run your own server on an unmanaged service and view the console directly.
- If you really want to see streaming console output in our managed control panel, you can switch your server to a Linux VDS. We have a separate console tool for managed Linux servers that shows all console output.

I've answered your question a couple of times. You have refused to accept my answer and have incorrectly called me a liar. The last thing you did was ask the question again. I won't participate in another round -- I'm locking this.