A problem with a new server

McBethX
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

A problem with a new server

Post by McBethX »

I've been working on getting a server running properly that I rented from NFO.

When connecting, I don't have admin and neither does my buddy. Here's how it looks in my users.txt...

"superadmin"
{
"McBeth" "STEAM_0:1:26474678"
"Ironfungus" "STEAM_0:1:27699280"
}

"admin"
{
"McBeth" "STEAM_0:1:26474678"
"Ironfungus" "STEAM_0:1:27699280"
}

}

Plus all the (necessary?) tabbing.

When connecting to the server, neither of us have admin, and using the rcon_password command doesn't do anything either. However, when I use the "map_(mapname)" command to change the map, it changes to said map and grants me admin. But in the process, my buddy is kicked. Upon reconnecting, he's placed back in the default map by himself, but on the same server. Thus leaving us both on the same server, but different maps, him still WITHOUT admin, me WITH admin. Totally weird...

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've exhausted more than the first few result pages in Google, and tried rewording my search a dozen times.
.=QUACK=.Major.Pain
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: A problem with a new server

Post by .=QUACK=.Major.Pain »

Haven't worked on a garry's mod server in some time, but do you have to grant permissions per map?

Just thinking of minecraft where this has to be done with some permission mods and couldn't remember when we had garry's mod if it was the same.

I seem to also recall we had to use a parser or something to check our permissions file text as I think you can't use TAB but had to use spaces so the file failed to load properly.

You should be able to see what's actually happening in the logs if it loads or errors when you start the server.
Visit gspreviews.com And Rate & Review Your Old & Current GSP's
Find Your GSP Coupons at gspreviews.com/coupons/
Netsurfers
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Netsurfers »

Thats impossible, 2 maps cannot be loaded at the same time. Record this and youtube it. Im sure if your correct. Garry himself will watch the video. But I highly doubt that your running 2 maps. That would take a massive amount of memory.

Second, Where are you putting users.txt?
McBethX
New to forums
New to forums

Post by McBethX »

I figured out the problem. I was using the "map map_name" command to change the map, which was dumping me into a single player game or something of that nature. You have to use "rcon_password" then "rcon changelevel map_name" to change the server's map.

Also, the in-game admin settings are overridden by the server's config txt, which is why they weren't working when changed.

It's all good now, except I'm having a separate problem now, which I'll start a separate post for.