FastDL Woes

aumkarpraja
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

FastDL Woes

Post by aumkarpraja »

After dealing with support I was told to post here for more help. Anywhoo on to the issue.

Basically, FastDL works for the most part but I have one large glaring issue. I have a sound file (in this case main.mp3, located in garrysmod/garrysmod/sound) that I have compressed to bz2 so that it can be used on FastDL. The download works fine but when I look at it on my clientside directory, it's still in it's bz2 format hence unusable. I don't know what to do now, any ideas?
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Re: FastDL Woes

Post by kraze »

It sounds like it is being forced downloaded but the server isn't calling it to be used. Do you have a plugin or addon calling that specific sound file to be used?
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

I also do not recommend that you compress sound files. They do not usually compress very well, and the extra time that the client takes in extracting them means that the overall time in preparing them to be used may be higher. This is why our Websync tool (which I recommend using instead of trying to transfer files by hand) does not compress them.
aumkarpraja
New to forums
New to forums

Post by aumkarpraja »

kraze wrote:It sounds like it is being forced downloaded but the server isn't calling it to be used. Do you have a plugin or addon calling that specific sound file to be used?
I use Clockwork and HL2RP as the schema. But I don't think that's the reason why.
Edge100x wrote:I also do not recommend that you compress sound files. They do not usually compress very well, and the extra time that the client takes in extracting them means that the overall time in preparing them to be used may be higher. This is why our Websync tool (which I recommend using instead of trying to transfer files by hand) does not compress them.
I tried both ways and the only way I've found to get that mp3 file to be picked up is to zip it to bz2. That's the only way fastDL seems to pick it up.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

That wasn't my experience in the past. Have you checked the website's access_log to confirm that the game doesn't look for the regular file if it doesn't first find the .bz2?