Rubberbanding specifically when players join

mloveless1227
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Rubberbanding specifically when players join

Post by mloveless1227 »

I have been experiencing some very consistent rubber banding with servers on my NFO VPS'. It happens to everyone on the server pretty much at the same exact time, right when a player joins. It only lasts long enough for the players to get pulled back a few steps then snap back forward to where they would have been, just a short rubber band. But its a short, nasty rubber band that screws you up if you are in battle. And it happens every time someone joins a server.

I have worked with NFO support on this for the past couple weeks, finding no solution. They suggested I come here. Below I will list some specs and details of what I (we've) tried. I'm hoping that someone might know why this happens.

4-Core Unmanaged VPS. Windows 2012 R2
Intel Xeon E5-2697 v3 @ 2.6ghz - 4gb ram

Servers:

(4) 5v5 Competitive CS:GO
* No plugins managing the game mode itself, basically stock competitive config
* HL Stats (not on machine, external database)
* Sourcebans (not on machine, external database)
* Chat adverts and !web commands are the only other plugins on these servers

Also, SRCDSFPSBOOST service running for the high res timer.

What I've tried:

- With plugins. Also completely Vanilla. Happens on both.
- Rubberbanding still occurs with only 1 server running, or 4 servers running.
- Have tried each server with it's own core, also tried setting each server with 2 cores (since windows is multithreaded), both still rubberband.

- Set rates, of course.
- Ran on SSD, ran on regular HDD. Same results.
- Priority set to High

Even when all 4 are filled, the server is never using more than 70% memory, cpu barely makes it to 40%. I've ran tests by monitoring cpu/ram/network activity while players joined and noticed nothing out of the ordinary in terms of spikes. If anyone has any ideas they can offer I would very much appreciate it. I've been dealing with this for too long.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: Rubberbanding specifically when players join

Post by soja »

Do you have the server set to allow net_graph 4? If so, could you provide an IP to join so I can see it first-hand? Enabling net_graph 4 is invaluable for diagnosing issues like this, you can turn it on with sv_max_allowed_net_graph 4.
Not a NFO employee
mloveless1227
New to forums
New to forums

Post by mloveless1227 »

I just added the max net graph 4 to the servers.

Here are ips of servers all doing it.

162.248.88.119:27015
162.248.88.119:27025
162.248.92.81:27015

They are usually populated anytime after around noon eastern throughout the evening. I'll check here in a little bit to see if net_graph 4 shows me anything and will follow up.
mloveless1227
New to forums
New to forums

Post by mloveless1227 »

I've been watching the servers for a couple days now with net_graph 4 on. I'm not seeing any big spikes in any part of the graph when players join though.
mloveless1227
New to forums
New to forums

Post by mloveless1227 »

After more testing, here is a screenshot of what usually happens on the net_graph when someone joins

http://imgur.com/jpz0mGe

The word on the left in teal is EVENTS, i know it's tough to make out in that image. But it looks like a number of different things are spiking at the time that someone joins. I don't really understand what exactly is happening.

Another question I have, is SRCDSFPSBOOST still necessary?
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

mloveless1227 wrote:After more testing, here is a screenshot of what usually happens on the net_graph when someone joins

http://imgur.com/jpz0mGe

The word on the left in teal is EVENTS, i know it's tough to make out in that image. But it looks like a number of different things are spiking at the time that someone joins. I don't really understand what exactly is happening.

Another question I have, is SRCDSFPSBOOST still necessary?
Sorry I sort of left this question without followup. The fps boost tool is not necessary at all now, and in fact might be causing the abnormally high var you are seeing(it should be less than .09, you have a constant .30+). My first troubleshooting step would be to remove the fps boost tool you have running.

You said this happens on any server, sourcemod or not, try installing a blank server, if it happens there, try turning logging completely off(using log off in console or autoexec.cfg) and see if it still happens. My guess for this problem, since you said it is independent of sourcemod, would be some sort of I/O issue.
Not a NFO employee
mloveless1227
New to forums
New to forums

Post by mloveless1227 »

I highly doubt this is a reason since it isn't running a check on any players, it's just creating a command line and running my servers as a service without a bunch of dos boxes, but is there any chance that Powershell and/or Fire Daemon could create a problem?

I have a Powershell file for each server which does the same thing as a batch file, then I import it into Fire Daemon and run it as a service with it's window hidden from the desktop. We've been running our servers like this for a long time, however I only notice these issues on one machine (even though we've tried moving to a new machine at least once). I figured I'd throw this out there in case someone knows for certain that this could create an issue. If it does, what kind of issues?

I've removed SRCDSFPSBOOST as well but it did nothing for the VAR and didn't have any effect on this issue either. I really like the control I have over the machine, the ability to do updates when I want, etc. I don't wanna move to a managed service and don't feel like that should have to be an option just to run 4 small servers on one machine.