People complaining about "hitreg", doesn't make sense

mukunda
A regular
A regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

People complaining about "hitreg", doesn't make sense

Post by mukunda »

It's a slippery slope I know, but I'm getting repeated complaints about our new 128tick server's hit registry.

Whenever the complaints happen the server seems healthy in every way possible:

sv: solid 128.0
var: under 1.0
dedicated server CPU%: under 40% (40-50 in the evening, but complaints received earlier in the day)

No matter what, people still complain about the hit registry...

I noticed there's not much settings regarding hit registry tweaking on the server side, and is mostly left to the client to tweak these settings, but we can't figure out what could be wrong (Personally I'm still not convinced its an issue, but the video below is somewhat convincing)

The server runs a minimal amount of plugins, and we tested with sm/mm disabled alltogether, and people still complaining about hitreg..

Here's a video done during our research into the problem, my interp is at 0.03, and a lot of my shots which seem to be right on miss. http://mukunda.com/rejtest2.html

Last ideas in my head that could cause this strange phenomenon:

operating system (but don't a lot of community's use nfo's managed linux?)
minecraft being on the same machine (thrashing memory cache? -- but server health doesn't visibly show to be degraded)
can server (entire machine) uptime be a reason?

any input on this matter is much appreciated
ImageImageImageImage
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Re: People complaining about "hitreg", doesn't make sense

Post by kraze »

Server registration isn't something that can be actually be monitored since it ultimately is just the end users perception of where they think the shot should of hit. When a user believes that a shot should've hit it is very common for them to call "lag" or "bad server", it's really just what they do. My suggestion is to look past those complaints and look at hard facts.

Things to look at would be choke/loss in net_graph 4, ping and server tickrate/variation. You've done the latter and it appears those are just fine.

CPU usage on your machine isn't too bad but we recommend keeping it under 50% to prevent any issues. Leaving 400 or so megs free of ram is also required to prevent swapping to disk.

Is your MC server also running on an SSD? Due to how intense MC is it is possible it is causing negative performance effects on your CSGO server but it's hard to tell from this end.

My personal opinion on that video is you seemed to be shooting slightly before his head was in view, but we do not know how the video affected the overall result. Things such as lag compensation could also come in play here.

Overall you'll want to start collecting results and remove any variables which we can't control. Things like running on a stock map with no addons would be good. Using our stock config which is actually tweaked very well for competitive play.

Then retest the issue keep track of choke/loss, ping, fps and variation.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
mukunda
A regular
A regular

Post by mukunda »

The MC server is somewhat small, and I should be correct in assuming that any performance hits should be visible in the server fps/var right?

Is your stock config the one that is loaded on the server by default? or are you referring to something else? I haven't changed any related settings in the server cfg. min/max rates, fps all set according to commented recommendations

I have a GOTV demo along with the video, and the gotv demo shows that on the server side I'm definitely shooting too early, but its much more pronounced than the client video. (bad interpolation problem it seems)

I tried without plugins today on some stock maps, but my friends were still complaining, is there anything else that could cause these kind of problems (client/server slightly out of sync?) if the server is seemingly very healthy? (..fault somewhere in routing?)
ImageImageImageImage
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

The MC server is somewhat small, and I should be correct in assuming that any performance hits should be visible in the server fps/var right?
It depends but if the MC server was causing issues I would expect to see some output of that in the CSGO server, yes.
I tried without plugins today on some stock maps, but my friends were still complaining, is there anything else that could cause these kind of problems (client/server slightly out of sync?) if the server is seemingly very healthy? (..fault somewhere in routing?)
That is similar to what I was mentioning above. We can't monitor or track hit registration :/ What your players are seeing are really just their perception of where they think the bullet should of gone.

It is also possible they are seeing lag compensation, which would be much more pronounced if the two players shooting each other had higher pings or were seeing packet loss to the server. I would expect any packet loss to the server to show in the loss output in net_graph 4 but you and your friends can sure run MTR's and post them here so we can get a general idea.

These are some rates you can use your in your config which are known to be good;
fps_max 0
sv_minrate 128000
sv_maxrate 0
sv_mincmdrate 128 (Engine didn't support this when we checked but that may of changed)
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

http://www.nfoservers.com/forums/viewto ... =25&t=3930 talks quite a bit about this topic and branches out with many things to look at server-side.
mukunda
A regular
A regular

Post by mukunda »

Still investigating... here's the MTR's for a couple of clients complaining about lag:

http://pastebin.com/n4mbdSZd
http://pastebin.com/7WqrdeZe

It looks like they run a similar path; I'm not exactly sure what is considered normal in a traceroute but I do see that one node having quite a bit of loss
ImageImageImageImage
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

The second client is seeing large ping spikes (but no packet loss) starting within his home network, and the first one is seeing some loss starting between him and his ISP. Both should definitely work to fix these issues, as they will be noticeable in game. They should start by rebooting the modem and router; if that doesn't help, they should try bypassing the router temporarily; if that doesn't help, they may need to contact their ISP to have them run additional tests.
mukunda
A regular
A regular

Post by mukunda »

I'll tell them.

As for the hitreg issue we tested more thoroughly and found it to be exactly working..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_dVN947 ... e=youtu.be

Client side demos don't lie; not a server problem!

Although one thing I did notice on the server config was a low (default) sv_splitpacket_maxrate which I turned up in hopes of making the server better..
ImageImageImageImage
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

For CSGO you can set that to 128000.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

Probably a typo, but the command is net_splitpacket_maxrate and csgos max is currently 128000 as kraze said, and i recommend setting it to that for 128 tick servers :)
Not a NFO employee