Need help setting up MSO server

KRDucky
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Need help setting up MSO server

Post by KRDucky »

Hey guys,

I just picked up a 32 slot server and want to run MSO on it. Can someone tell me how to set that up?
Caliban55
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: Need help setting up MSO server

Post by Caliban55 »

Multi Session Operation (MSO) requires just the upload of the mission file to your server's MPMissions folder and adding it in your server.cfg Mission class parameter (not neccessary, you could also select it from the ingame server admin option, but faster).

You can get the .pbo file directly from the Dev heaven site, under the following URL:
https://dev.withsix.com/projects/mso
Direct file download list here:
https://dev.withsix.com/projects/mso/files

Or you can check the Armaholics site for a version.
http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=13336

Whatever, however, the mission's pbo file has to be uploaded to your server into the MPMissions folder.
KRDucky
New to forums
New to forums

Post by KRDucky »

What about the mods needed or can it be done without mods? I would like to do it with headless client.
Caliban55
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Caliban55 »

MSO does not need any mods to run (Well, not entirely true. If you select the MSO mission for the ACE mod, then of course you need the ACE mod also installed on the server and clients).

You can add a headless client by adding the following line to your server.cfg:

Code: Select all

localClient[]={127.0.0.1, 192.168.1.10, 192.168.1.210};
The IPs in the localClient array have to be the IP(s) from the client computer that functions as a headless client. More info here:
https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arm ... ted_Server

As far as I know it though, MSO does not support a headless client (I am not sure about this, but I would doubt that it was included by the MSO authors). If the mission does not support a headless client, then using it does not make any sense. The only reason to use a headless client is to off-load functions to the HC computer and that has to be written into the mission code explicitly.
KRDucky
New to forums
New to forums

Post by KRDucky »

Well, I was playing with Survival Operations on the ACE one and they used HC.
I have a server instance from NFO instead of an entire box from NFO. That is why I am curious how to do this since I have no clue how to set up the MySQL part when I have no access to the OS of the server just the FTP.
Caliban55
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Caliban55 »

If they used a HC on the same server, than this was probably to provide unlimited bandwidth for the server process. You can try it with a HC, but as I mentioned, I don't think that MSO is written to support a HC - you should notice a performance difference, if it has any effect. Just make sure that the HC can not be kicked or banned (it gets ugly after that...).

As for the database server, you can use an external database server if you want to. If you rented a gameserver instance, you should have access to a Webhosting plan from NFO also that comes with a MySQL database server that you can use (if I am not mistaken... http://www.nfoservers.com/webhosting.php#differences). You will have to add the @Arma2Net mod to your server and load it, as it is specified in the PDB_instructions.txt file in the MSO archieve.
KRDucky
New to forums
New to forums

Post by KRDucky »

Thanks for the info. Can you tell me how to differentiate between the missions? They all look the same to me.
Caliban55
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Caliban55 »

Assuming that we are both looking at the same mission files from the 4.6RC (4.55 is similar though), the mission are all different. The last part of the mission name reflects the world island for which the mission was made (Chernarus, Takistanc, etc.).

The first number is the mission player slot number.

After that, you have the factions in the mission name and also the ACE mission (those with the ACE, ACEX string in them).

You should have the following mission in your MSO archieve:
11_a2co_coop_us_baf_vs_ins_gue.torabora
12_A2CO_COOP_USMC_vs_GUE.lingor
12_a2co_cti_us_vs_tak_vs_gue.zargabad
13_a2co_coop_usmc_vs_ru.fdf_isle1_a
16_A2CO_COOP_US_CZ_vs_TAK_INS.zargabad
16_a2co_cti_cdf_vs_ins.chernarus
16_a2co_cti_cdf_vs_ins.cmr_cicada
16_a2co_cti_us_vs_tak.takistan
16_ACE_COOP_BAF_vs_GUE.Chernarus
17_A2CO_COOP_GUER_vs_RU.utes
18_ace_coop_usmc_vs_ins_gu.Chernarus
19_A2CO_COOP_BAF_vs_GUE.Chernarus
24_a2co_cti_us_vs_tak_vs_gue.takistan
32_A2CO_COOP_BAF_USA_vs_GUE_Tigerianne.tigeria
32_A2CO_COOP_BAF_USA_vs_RU_GUE.mbg_celle2
32_A2CO_COOP_BAF_USA_vs_TAK_INS_GUE.takistan
32_A2CO_COOP_BAF_USA_vs_TAK_INS_GUE.tup_qom
32_A2CO_COOP_BAF_USMC_vs_RU_IN.Chernarus
32_A2CO_COOP_US_vs_RU.eden
32_ACEX_COOP_USA_vs_TAK_INS.clafghan
32_ACEX_COOP_USA_vs_TAK_INS.fallujah
32_ACE_COOP_BAF_USA_vs_RU_INS.tavi
32_ACE_COOP_BAF_USA_vs_TAK_INS.esbekistan
32_ACE_COOP_BAF_USA_vs_TAK_INS_GUE.takistan
32_ACE_COOP_BAF_USA_vs_TAK_INS_GUE.tup_qom
32_ACE_COOP_USA_CZ_vs_TAK.MCN_HazarKot
32_ACE_COOP_USA_CZ_vs_TAK.zargabad
32_ACE_COOP_USMC_UN_vs_INS.chernarus
70_A2CO_TVT_USMC_vs_GUE.utes
8_a2co_cti_us_vs_tak.zargabad
A3_BASEMISSION.Stratis
A3_CO16_COIN_CQB_MSO.Stratis
Obsolete
Testing
KRDucky
New to forums
New to forums

Post by KRDucky »

Alright, here is the rub.

I have been trying to setup PersistentDB but the MySQL server wont accept the SQL dump for the database AND supposedly PersistentDB uses ArmA 2 beta which the hosted instance does not support supposedly.

How can I get this working without beta? Can I use iniDB? (Which I hate by the way since it is a Wasteland thing).
Caliban55
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Caliban55 »

Do you really want/need a database? The mission does not require it and runs fine without any database behind it.

OA betas are obsolete after the change to version 1.63. I don't know if ArmA2Net supports 1.63, but you could check if the author created a compatible version/update. Same propably applies for IniDB.

The MySQL dump file looks like a standard SQL file - no idea why the MySQL server refuses an import.

I also checked through the mission structure and the authors put indeed a headless client part in it - so you could use it if you want.
KRDucky
New to forums
New to forums

Post by KRDucky »

Will the mission still be persistent without a database?
Caliban55
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Caliban55 »

You can set the server to be persistent in your server.cfg file with the following command:

Code: Select all

persistent = 1;
Persistent in this context means that the server/mission will continue to run, even when the last player disconnects, so that the players joining later can continue with the mission.

The use of a database allows you to save player stats, which you could use to collect score to display on a website, objects positions, etc. . This option is often used by RPG style mission to save player states, position, inventory, etc. . Personally, I think that a database usually does not make much sense for a mil-sim style mission, but that is my personal preference.
KRDucky
New to forums
New to forums

Post by KRDucky »

I want ot to be so that when tge server restarts, it picks up from where it left off
Caliban55
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Caliban55 »

KRDucky wrote:I want ot to be so that when tge server restarts, it picks up from where it left off
Then you will have to get the persistent database working.

Arma2NET is working for version 1.63 and it is still developed by the author, so you can try it with the latest version. As it also requires the .NET client profile on the server, I am not sure if this wil work in your case, but give it a try.

As to importing the database, I can't help you with this, we don't use NFOserver webhosting, so I can't tell you what is going on there (what error do you get, how do you import the SQL dump?).

I will try to test it on our ACE server and see what results I will get.