Arma 3 Autoinstallers

DaGold
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Arma 3 Autoinstallers

Post by DaGold »

We all know how difficult it is to install things into Arma 3. So I post here to suggest Autoinstallers. There is BEC for one. That one should be there without hesitation. Also a few gamemodes. I understand most gamemodes require a database, but couldn't there still be a base install. As in install the base files and the database files and we could edit those files ourselves. List gamemodes below that should be added or tool that are a "must have" for an arma 3 server. Link help!

As of now I know wasteland is a good gamemode. Arma 3 Rally - Skopos Course, GhostHawk Shift, MGS1, Survivor, and Dynamic Universal War System.

For tools I don't know. I know infistar is good but costs $40.
JHill
New to forums
New to forums

Re: Arma 3 Autoinstallers

Post by JHill »

Battleye Extended Controls (BEC) should be standard issue for all Arma server installs.
J-English
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by J-English »

Bec you will need an un managed setup to use it.If its a managed you can use indbi for database.Some providers include a standard msyql databse and extdb for a rented server.That would be pretty handy to have as an autoinstaller.
Caliban55
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Caliban55 »

Auto-installers for Arma (3) create a few problems, or at least would be a very maintenance intensive addition.
  • There are so many mods/missions out there, which would be added to the installers?
  • Mods are frequently updated, at least if they are adding significant content to Arma 3
  • Some mods/missions have dependencies toward other mods, which you can only know about if you read through the installation instruction for each mod
  • With each new patch of Arma 3, there is a good chance that backward compatibility is broken by BIS (at the moment, the geniuses at BIS follow roughly this pattern: each update fixes 2 problems, breaks 5 previously working functions and introduces 4 completely new problems; I really have no idea what the pre-release quality management at BIS is doing... 8O ). Each mod from the auto-installers would than have to be tested/updated.
I can't speak for NFO, but personally I would not recommend to create auto-installers for Arma 3. You would need a person/team who is extremely familiar with the working of Arma 3 to effectively set this up - that's why I and other people here are trying to help NFO customers to get their servers configured and running. Mod installation is best done by a client himself, either on a managed or unamanged machine.

BEC:
BEC has nothing to do with a database, or inidb, it is just an extension for Battleye that add a different layer of functionality. This can all be done with a standard Battleye GUI program also.

Another problem with BEC is that it is not maintained anymore, and additional the original author asked not to use it anymore. The use in a commercial environment is also not really allowed, which was the reasons leading to this step by the original author. A few less trust-able GPS abused this. Also, after BIS monetarization step, the author wanted to make a point about this.
http://www.bistudio.com/monetization

You can still use BEC of course, but then you need to set it up yourself.