PersistentDB

wesleywarfare
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

PersistentDB

Post by wesleywarfare »

Hello everyone,

I'm currently trying to set up a persistentDB for my ArmA II server, without much luck.
I saw I have acces to a MySQL database through webhosting, but not sure how to set it up properly.
Then there is the issue that I need to add plugins and stuff to the database as described here:

http://www.kellys-heroes.eu/docs/PDBReadMe.html

I'm not very good at this so maybe someone can help me out?

Thanks,
Wesley
wesleywarfare
New to forums
New to forums

Re: PersistentDB

Post by wesleywarfare »

Maybe I'm a little unspecific..

The main question is:

How do I set up a MySQL database trough NFO, and how do I add the MYSQL .NET Connector?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

You can set up a MySQL database on any webhosting account with us through the "Databases" page, but if it's to be used heavily by a game server that depends on its performance, I would not recommend using a remote database.

As for .NET, .NET connector, or other special libraries, you would need to use an unmanaged VDS or unmanaged dedicated server to be able to install these.
wesleywarfare
New to forums
New to forums

Post by wesleywarfare »

Ok, thank you.

The MySQL server will only communicate with the game when a player joins/leaves to save data.
Is that too much for a remote database?
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Post by TimeX »

That wouldn't cause a problem if no one is joining or leaving, but it could mean a lag spike any time someone joins or leaves, depending on the amount of data, distance to the server, etc.
TimeX
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

It mostly depends on the design of the system. If it blocks the main game thread waiting for a query response from the MySQL server, then that would cause a problem, because the MySQL server being in Seattle means at least a 20ms delay to any server at another location -- translating to an in-game delay for other players. Systems that are designed to allow for MySQL server delays will use a different, non-blocking mechanism.
.=QUACK=.Major.Pain
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by .=QUACK=.Major.Pain »

Just a little info, we were running 11 dayz servers to a remote database, and with the option of possibly hundreds of players coming and going, servers didn't appear to have any lag with people connecting and disconnecting.

Not sure how Arma handles saving player info, but dayz saves vehicles and players quite often. Vehicles I think were saved every 20 secs, if it was found to be altered from last state. So if someone is driving a vehicle, the location and content were saved every 20 secs.

We tried a database on the same server as the game servers, and after talking to the guys here, we found lag issues because the database and servers were fighting for the same resources. Moving the database to our web hosting and using only game servers on the server, the lag disappeared and we were able to add more game servers.
Visit gspreviews.com And Rate & Review Your Old & Current GSP's
Find Your GSP Coupons at gspreviews.com/coupons/