DayZ mod now on Steam

Elochai
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

DayZ mod now on Steam

Post by Elochai »

So with DayZ mod now being on steam for download. Will this mean that there is a better chance of having this supported for managed servers ? That is now that the mod could be installed using the steam commands.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/224580/
Scott AKA Elochai

Let the Clips Fall Down!
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Re: DayZ mod now on Steam

Post by kraze »

Unless the requirements have changed it's unlikely. We are still aiming for the stand alone release.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
diannetea
New to forums
New to forums

Post by diannetea »

kraze wrote:Unless the requirements have changed it's unlikely. We are still aiming for the stand alone release.
Ugh, I'm about to start begging you guys! I tried Vilayer.com and they have literally the WORST customer support I have ever experienced in my life. They were ridiculously rude.

Trying HFB now. Fingers crossed. As soon as you guys have DayZ though, my money is YOURS.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

I can reinvestigate into DayZ and see if the requirements have changed.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
.=QUACK=.Major.Pain
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by .=QUACK=.Major.Pain »

Dayz servers are a different animal.
You don't just get the server files in one download.

You need to install Operation Arronhead files.
You need to copy the Addons folder of Arma II into the same folder.
You need to download and installl the beta.
You need to download, build, and install a hive project to use with the install.
You need to edit several files for your personal configuration and database info.
You need to install a database.

And depending on which map mod you want, the 4th step above varies on the map.

The easiest way would probably be to create your own default install folders for each map, and at purchase depending on the map choice, download from the appropriate folder. Then only config, battleye and hive edits would be required.

But this can still be a big job as you still have to keep everything up to date in your default packages.

Not all that easy.

And if you choose to install other mods like Sarge AI, auto refuel, self blood, etc, your now making the job even bigger to install and update as updates for these are released.

Learning to install your own basic servers on a VDS is rather easy once you have done it several times. You will always have a few questions. Reality hive mod is one that the majority are probably using now.

As for HFB, their support is very slow and not all that knowledgeable. We have a dedicated server with them, but I do all my own servers. Thankfully I don't need their help.
Visit gspreviews.com And Rate & Review Your Old & Current GSP's
Find Your GSP Coupons at gspreviews.com/coupons/
diannetea
New to forums
New to forums

Post by diannetea »

.=QUACK=.Major.Pain wrote:Dayz servers are a different animal.
You don't just get the server files in one download.
I don't really think it's all that different from running a Spigot MC server, I just didn't know where anything was and they were SO RUDE, all I can do now is hope Paypal sides with me on the dispute as I paid for 30 days and I only used them for about 3. Vilayer was really unfriendly, I don't have high hopes for HFB either to be honest, but all I was asking for was a way to reset everything back to a clean installation so I could try again and they acted like I was a complete idiot. I'm sorry I never set up one of these servers before, but I don't just magically know where everything is or goes. They have NO documentation. Literally like 3 videos that were out of date and completely unhelpful. I had to wait 18 hours for my first ticket to get a response. That is absolutely unreasonable.

So to anyone looking for a good DayZ host, avoid Vilayer at all costs unless you don't mind being insulted if you can't figure something out. Which I actually did, I fixed all of the things I broke except one by the time they got back to me.

(edit)

Oh and to be really fair, all I need on a hosted DayZ server is access to the files. Give me an FTP and a database and I can figure out how to install everything, just help me nuke it when I mess it up. That's all I'm asking for. I don't need one click installs or whatever, I can configure and install upgrades. I'm not stupid, I just have magic breaking abilities with software, which is why I worked in game QA for a while.
.=QUACK=.Major.Pain
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by .=QUACK=.Major.Pain »

This is what most use for basic dayz servers:
https://github.com/thevisad/DayZ-Private-master

Instructions aren't always straight forward.
Usually instruction are written by coders and not so easily translated for the average person.
Visit gspreviews.com And Rate & Review Your Old & Current GSP's
Find Your GSP Coupons at gspreviews.com/coupons/