Arma 3 on unmanaged vds - help needed.

axRhino
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Arma 3 on unmanaged vds - help needed.

Post by axRhino »

Ive been following this guide..uncessfully but I'm not sure if this information is outdated or not.

Code: Select all

Instructions (Windows o/s)
The following instructions will guide you though setting up one Arma 3 server on 1 box, however they will also set the foundations for installing multiple servers on that same box
Login to the server as Administrator
Install the latest version of DirectX
Create the following empty directories
D:\Apps\Steam
D:\Games\ArmA3\A3Master
D:\Games\ArmA3\A3Files
Download steamcmd.exe and save it to your targetted Steam install directory (E.g D:\Apps\Steam)
Run the steamcmd.exe. (This will download and install the required steam files to your custom steam directory)
Create an ArmA3_Steam_updater.cmd file, (Example shown below) and save it to D:\Games\ArmA3\A3Files
Run the ArmA3_Steam_updater.cmd file
Just after logging into Steam, the console window will hang and ask for a validation key
Steam will have automatically sent you an email with this validation code, which you then need to input at the command prompt
The Update console window should then continue to run and install ArmA3 ((DEV or STABLE) version to the target directory as defined in the .cmd file) eg (D:\Games\ArmA3\A3Master)
Create a shortcut for the ArmA3Server.exe on the server desktop
Add the following parameters to the Target Line in the shortcut tab of the newly created desktop shortcut
-port=2302 (Required if running multiple server instances including any previous ArmA2 instances)
"-profiles=d:\Games\Arma3\A3Master"
-config=CONFIG_Vanilla.cfg
-world=empty
so it looks something similar to the following
"D:\Games\Arma3\A3Master\arma3server.exe" "-profiles=d:\Games\Arma3\A3Master" -port=2302 -config=CONFIG_Vanilla.cfg -world=empty
Add firewall rules for the UDP ports
Create a simple Notepad document called "CONFIG_vanilla.cfg" and save it to the root folder of your ArmA3 install on the server D:\Games\ArmA3\A3Master (See below for ".cfg" content)
Start up your shortcut, check the server runs. (You will see a console pop up in your desktop after a few seconds)
Close the console window down, then you will need to edit the following files which will have been automatically created
D:\Games\Arma3\A3Master\Users\Adminstrator\Administrator.Arma3Profile
D:\Games\Arma3\A3Master\Users\Administrator\Arma3.cfg
Restart the server
Start up your client Arma3.exe (Running the same branch as the server, (eg Stable or DEV) and you should then be able to see your server in the server browser (Filters are available to reduce the server list)
Login to your server using the password you defined in CONFIG_Vanilla.cfg by typing "/" to open the chat window and then type (#login ADMINPASSWORD) followed by enter
Once logged in you will be presented with a mission list, select one of the missions to start the game
Prove the stability of your server by running BIS missions initially before you start adding user made content

Has anyone successfuly setup an arma server on an unmanged NFO vds?

I'm stuck at:
Create an ArmA3_Steam_updater.cmd file, (Example shown below) and save it to D:\Games\ArmA3\A3Files
Run the ArmA3_Steam_updater.cmd file

....my updater.cmd doesnt seem to do anything.

Do I still need to do it this way or can I just install steam and go about a normal steam install of Arma 3?
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Re: Arma 3 on unmanaged vds - help needed.

Post by kraze »

We have a guide on how to install/setup an Arma 3 server here
http://www.nfoservers.com/forums/viewto ... =67&t=9266

This guide was written off of that guide but simplified to only include what's needed to get the server up and going.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
Caliban55
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Caliban55 »

If you feel more comfortable with this, you can also use your "standard" Steam client, just like you use it on your own client home computer.

You will still have to provide a valid server.cfg and basic.cfg though, plus the Steam ports need to be accessible/defined.
axRhino
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by axRhino »

I followed the topic and was able to do the install and start the server. It runs great for a bit then crashes every time after about 30 minutes with the following error:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BEX
Application Name: arma3server.exe
Application Version: 1.4.111.745
Application Timestamp: 5273017f
Fault Module Name: StackHash_0a9e
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Offset: 2839b900
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Data: 00000008
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.272.7
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?link...8&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

This is setup as a 64 slot wasteland server running our verion of the mission file and we have had no problems running it on a managed vds.

Any help in resolving this would be appreciated. I really have no idea where to start troubleshooting.
Caliban55
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Caliban55 »

Please post your .RPT file in order to see what was happening at that particular time. Also, this seems to be a OS problem, what kind of Windows Server version are you using? Any additional 3rd party mods/add-ons installed?
axRhino
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by axRhino »

Caliban55 wrote:Please post your .RPT file in order to see what was happening at that particular time. Also, this seems to be a OS problem, what kind of Windows Server version are you using? Any additional 3rd party mods/add-ons installed?
rpt attached.

The server is running Windows Server 2008

No additional addons or mods but the mission file is our version of wasteland. Its the same mission we have no problems running on our 4 core managed VDS.
arma3server_2013-11-06_23-48-41.zip
(26.88 KiB) Downloaded 164 times
axRhino
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by axRhino »

I thought maybe it was the mission so i went back and loaded the BIS Escape Stratis mission that comes with the game. Played 30 seconds and the server crashed.

RPT file attached....
arma3server_2013-11-07_10-14-46.zip
Escape Stratis crash
(10.69 KiB) Downloaded 160 times
.=QUACK=.Major.Pain
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by .=QUACK=.Major.Pain »

axRhino wrote:I thought maybe it was the mission so i went back and loaded the BIS Escape Stratis mission that comes with the game. Played 30 seconds and the server crashed.

RPT file attached....
arma3server_2013-11-07_10-14-46.zip
According to this https://dev-heaven.net/issues/10067
Your commandline is too long.

Not sure of the first issue.
Visit gspreviews.com And Rate & Review Your Old & Current GSP's
Find Your GSP Coupons at gspreviews.com/coupons/
Caliban55
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Caliban55 »

You are missing to load a valid basic.cfg file (defined under the startup parameters with -cfg=...), but this should not be a main issue, as the server will automatically create a basic.cfg for you under your C:\User folder with default settings. To rule this out though, create a basic.cfg and load it.

Also check the server file integrity with the VALIDATE command, if you are using the SteamCMD system, or under the Steam client (app_update ARMA3_ID_HERE validate)

My first guess why you were not able to use the SteamCDM at first would be that you were running into the Steam Guard system, which means that when you connect to your Steam account with an unknown client, this connection is blocked at first. Check your Email inbox, there should be a message from Steam in it with a validate code that you have to enter in the SteamCMD tool with the following command:

set_steam_guard_code yourcodehere
login <username> <password>

Startup parameter lenght:
The startup parameters only consist of the following:
== "C:\arma3\arma3server.exe" "-profiles=C:\Arma3\" -port=2302 -config=CONFIG_Vanilla.cfg -world=empty

which is not too long. I am usually using a parameter file to circumvent these problems in the first place, plus it makes maintaining the startup paramters a lot "neater".

This would be done with the following line:
arma3server.exe - par=your_parameter_file_here.txt

A paramter file can have the following format:
-beta=Expansion\beta;Expansion\beta\Expansion
-mod=@CBA_CO;@ACE;@ACEX;@ACEX_RU;@ACEX_USNavy;
-config=server_arma2oa.cfg
-bepath=D:\ArmA2_BEServer

Meaning: One parameter per line.