Known Hackers

10-78 Busterking
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Re: Known Hackers

Post by 10-78 Busterking »

Dixa wrote:Not entirely sure why this is even an issue atm.

It's a common-sense business practice that if EA/Dice were going to let you label your server as official, they were going to want to exert some control over what you were allowed to do. They don't want admins rage-banning people for reasons that EA/Dice may not consider acceptable.

Clearly they can't be expected to field a CSR force to police every.single.server. that goes online trying to use official presets, therefore they have to make blanket decisions. It does not MATTER at all if YOU don't like it, because you have an option - stop using official.
It isn't common-sense at all. It is simply abusing the people renting servers taking them for suckers. Who in their right mind wants to rent a server and have no control?

Give the ranking servers the play for now traffic, it's that simple.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Fundamentally, Official servers do need some policing, outside of what Punkbuster and FairFight can handle. Unless EA/DICE has enough people to play in all of the servers and to kick/ban abusive players, it makes sense to allow those paying for the servers to do it.

There is certainly a balance to be had because server admins can be abusive, too, but it's surely easier from EA's perspective to police some hundreds or thousands of communities/servers than some tens or hundreds of thousands of individual players.
stryfe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by stryfe »

I can only think of this win-win situation then.. Give the admins the ability to do something, if they choose to abuse their power report it to DICE/EA or to the GSP and let the GSP handle the situation take their server away refund them the difference, or simply delist them! No sense in making everyone pay for 1 or 2 bad apples out of the bunch. I choose my admins very very closely and if you have a tendency to do stupid things I refuse to give you admin. And they all know to if they do one thing to screw up it's getting revoked. I've been doing this kind of stuff for a very very long time so I know how to run servers and run them well.
10-78 Busterking
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by 10-78 Busterking »

stryfe wrote:I can only think of this win-win situation then.. Give the admins the ability to do something, if they choose to abuse their power report it to DICE/EA or to the GSP and let the GSP handle the situation take their server away refund them the difference, or simply delist them! No sense in making everyone pay for 1 or 2 bad apples out of the bunch. I choose my admins very very closely and if you have a tendency to do stupid things I refuse to give you admin. And they all know to if they do one thing to screw up it's getting revoked. I've been doing this kind of stuff for a very very long time so I know how to run servers and run them well.
There are hundreds if not thousands of servers a player can join if he is banned from a few, and if that player doesn't like it then he can rent his own server.

EA/DICE shouldn't advertise that BF4 dedicated servers can be rented then take total control over them and restrict the play for now traffic to them. That's just plain evil.
stryfe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by stryfe »

Oh yeah I totally agree! And swapping to ranked and trying to fill up servers is a joke!
[WDT]TardFarmer
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by [WDT]TardFarmer »

grrr, I have a racist pos on our server now who is belittling all the players and we can't get rid of him. I added his IP to the firewall and it's not booting him. I am so sick of this shit
stryfe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by stryfe »

Submit a ticket and let the guys take a look at it Edge said he found the issue and resolved it.
[WDT]TardFarmer
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by [WDT]TardFarmer »

Yup I did, apparently there was an issue with the firewall. Good now. Thanks Jordan :)

And Stryfe what you posted before. We follow the same mantra. I am very very picky about admin. And I strip the power if anyone abuses it. Basically we only kick/ban for racism and homophobic talk, and then only after being warned. Plus upon entry of the server we had the racist homophobic rule on the MOTD. I took the MOTD off as I hate saying don't do it and then being powerless to stop it.

Report the few bad admins out there, let the GSP police it if they receive a ton of complaints they can revoke the power. GSP can ask the server owner to keep his admins inline. There is no shortage of servers for the players to play on anyways. It's painful when almost the entire server is calling for a jackass to be banned and there is nothing we can do. Now all of a sudden 60 players are having their game ruined by one smacktard. What about the other 99% of the players rights?
plasma
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by plasma »

stryfe wrote:Just run that pb_sv_plist command mentioned earlier and it'll give you the IP:PORT of the users. From there you can edit the firewall to add the IP.
great thanks..

will I need to add their port as well?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

plasma, I recommend blocking the IP or IP block. You shouldn't need to specify the port.
Peacelulz
A regular
A regular

Post by Peacelulz »

Edge100x wrote:Fundamentally, Official servers do need some policing, outside of what Punkbuster and FairFight can handle. Unless EA/DICE has enough people to play in all of the servers and to kick/ban abusive players, it makes sense to allow those paying for the servers to do it.

There is certainly a balance to be had because server admins can be abusive, too, but it's surely easier from EA's perspective to police some hundreds or thousands of communities/servers than some tens or hundreds of thousands of individual players.
Well said.

Would be nice if even PunkBuster could handle anything by itself anymore. Absolutely ridiculous to watch PB issue commands on a player that's already on their ban list and they can't remove them from the server. If PB cannot essentially do it's job even by itself... then why make it a requirement to have?
wulfengrav
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by wulfengrav »

I would think that EA/PB would allow a local ban not a global ban. This allows the server admin to kick/ban whom ever they want. But it would not effect the "ban'd" person from going elsewhere. If the admin goes on a ban/kick rampage it only hurts their server and not EA. The fact that we get no control is flawed.

EdgeX's firewall plan was/is a good idea that allow admin that control, while still a grey area it should be something that was planned for and not something that we have to have a work around for.
plasma
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by plasma »

Edge100x wrote:plasma, I recommend blocking the IP or IP block. You shouldn't need to specify the port.
great idea. thanks
ThatGuy3141
New to forums
New to forums

Post by ThatGuy3141 »

Let me get a little clarifacation here.

If I IP block someone in the firewall, do I have to wait for them to get bored of cheating/being an ass and quit or will it boot them right away?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

ThatGuy3141, no, if you block a client's IP address through the firewall, that client will immediately be unable to play and will time out from the server.