Chicago vs. Dallas

Cornholeo
A semi-regular
A semi-regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Chicago vs. Dallas

Post by Cornholeo »

We have both of our NFO servers running out of Dallas for central location to all of our members. Last night we had a crash on one of them and someone commented on a NFO server they have played on that never crashes which happens to be in Chicago.

I have now gotten questions from our community as to whether Chicago is a better place, stability wise to run our servers out of. Is there anyone who can tell me their thoughts and or experiences with this and if one data center is more stable than the other?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated to quell the natives :mrgreen:
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Chicago vs. Dallas

Post by Edge100x »

It isn't true that servers at any location crash more or less frequently than others, as our hardware and systems are stable across the board (and we use the same stuff everywhere). Blaze does have different routing to/from each location, and Blaze disconnections can cause player dumps (which might look like crashes); but, in practice, we don't see that factor come up much in terms of making a specific location more or less stable overall.
Cornholeo
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Cornholeo »

Thanks for the prompt reply Edge!
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by TacTicToe »

Been my experience that Chicago area gets DDoSed more than any other location as well. That is why I do not setup servers there.
ADKGamers
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by ADKGamers »

Honestly, I think anywhere get's DDoSd the same amount anymore. I used to religiously use data centers in Dallas because I too thought Chicago was always getting attacked, and well that went south quickly when it was pretty much every day that it was happening, with different providers as well.

As frustrating as it is, I honestly don't think it makes much difference where you are these days. Especially if the provider is always working to strengthen their network to prevent such issues.
http://www.ADKGamers.com - =ADK= Multi Gaming Community
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Every location sees at least a few (and usually more than a dozen) DDoS attacks a day, but we are effective at cutting them down, and only the very largest attacks -- the ones that exceed our router's forwarding capabilities, exceed our connection to Internap, or exceed Internap's connections to the global internet -- cause problems for the entire location. We saw a few of these extremely large attacks last week at several different locations, including Dallas and Chicago at the same times on the same day, but they're still rare overall. Historically, Chicago has not had more such problems than other places, and our 20 Gbps to Internap there makes it more robust in terms of our own capacity than Dallas, as things currently stand. (Internap absorbs much more than this 20 Gbps when larger attacks are coming in, making our effective mitigation potential significantly higher.)

Next month, we'll be working to double our network capacity in Dallas, Los Angeles, and Atlanta to dual 10 Gbps feeds, and switching San Jose from a 1 Gbps feed to a 10 gbps feed, as part of our preventive measures against the largest attacks. We will also be upgrading the software on our routers to better handle high-packet-rate attacks. Internap has assured us that they are working on overall network upgrades, as well, at multiple locations, including Chicago, Seattle, NYC, and Atlanta, bumping up their internal and external link speeds.
ADKGamers
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by ADKGamers »

And as soon as we start talking about it, it gets us. . haha -_-
http://www.ADKGamers.com - =ADK= Multi Gaming Community
Froz3nTundra
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Froz3nTundra »

Personally I'm fed up with these DDoS attacks in Chcago as they've all but killed our community and something needs to be done and soon, other than a server move not sure what options we have really have anymore.
Cyberbang3r
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Cyberbang3r »

Froz3nTundra wrote:Personally I'm fed up with these DDoS attacks in Chcago as they've all but killed our community and something needs to be done and soon, other than a server move not sure what options we have really have anymore.

BF4 is no more or less DDosed than BF3 ---> It comes with running servers... The more popular you are ---> the more attacks! It's a Cat and Mouse game in which some months are good and some months are bad.... At least NFO says they are doing something, many hosts don't do anything!