What is with all the lag?

Jamesonp
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

What is with all the lag?

Post by Jamesonp »

Our servers lag so horribly on Golmund, Paracel, and Lancang. I know we've submitted multiple tickets and were told they are caused by the maps but why does it seem only the NFO servers are seeing these issues?
Jamesonp
New to forums
New to forums

Re: What is with all the lag?

Post by Jamesonp »

And now our VPS lagged out, and game servers just crashed. It's really frustrating to start our servers multiple times a day.
wihgaming
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by wihgaming »

Jamesonp wrote:Our servers lag so horribly on Golmund, Paracel, and Lancang. I know we've submitted multiple tickets and were told they are caused by the maps but why does it seem only the NFO servers are seeing these issues?
I have the exact same issue. Hainan lags for us too. Many players report to us that they don't' see the lag on these maps on other servers. So I'm starting to think that it's something specific to my server, but I have no idea what bc the rest of the maps runs great.
marrr
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by marrr »

Golmund, Paracel, Lancang, Hainan and Dragon pass all lag for some reason. If your server has been up for a while and has gone through the rotation a bunch of times they will lag. I only leave Paracel in my rotation and when it starts to lag I remove it from the rotation until I can restart the server. I doubt DICE will ever fix it.
Sorry
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Sorry »

marrr wrote:Golmund, Paracel, Lancang, Hainan and Dragon pass all lag for some reason. If your server has been up for a while and has gone through the rotation a bunch of times they will lag. I only leave Paracel in my rotation and when it starts to lag I remove it from the rotation until I can restart the server. I doubt DICE will ever fix it.
Those lag on our server too.
XDE4TH
A regular
A regular

Post by XDE4TH »

We haven't got any complaints about lag being caused by particular maps for awhile now...With the exception of when NFO/InterNAP seems to experience network issues(aka DDoS). Otherwise our servers will stay up running with little/no problems or complaints from the afternoon until 4-5am.

One server is running 48 players, all maps, CQ Small(including China Rising).
Other server is running 64 players, only China Rising, CQ Large.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

For those experiencing lag:

Shared/Managed VDS/Managed dedi:
Player slots:
CPU the vds/dedi is using(check in server health tab for BF4 servers):

Probably not much we can do, as BF4 doesn't offer much in the way of configuration, but maybe we can narrow down the issue.
Not a NFO employee
Cain
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Cain »

Those maps lag horribly on my server too, I assumed all servers played poorly with those maps.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

DICE has told us that they're working on performance problems with the game but I haven't seen anything more specific than that. I think that most of them are on vacation right now but I would expect for work to continue on BF4 next week.
wihgaming
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by wihgaming »

When I see lag on any of these maps, my CPU is around 18%. I run 64-players CQL server that is almost always full.

My IP is 74.91.123.122 out of NYC
My node is nyc-icosa30-2

Where are the rest of you guys' servers?

I've asked my admins to check out other 64-player CQL servers and report. They all say that other servers either don't lag like mine or if they do, it's very little compared to our unplayable lag. What I don't know and can't see is the hardware layer that the non-laggy servers are using. Perhaps they're on some uber dedicated boxes or something...
Cain
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Cain »

*IF* it turns out other GSPs are able to run these maps as 64 player without lag, it will likely turn out it the the hardware we are running on vs the hardware they are running on.

I was running a busy UT2004 32 player server when the game first shipped. I remember, even though my server was not using that much CPU there were several maps that were "rubberbandy". I was running the best available multiple Xeon Intel CPUs at the time. I finally found one server in the world, that could run all the maps with 32 players with absolutely no "lag". That server was in Japan. I was finally able to contact the admin (this was before the days of GSPs so we were all running our own hardware).

Through an interpreter I discovered he was running the newest, most powerful AMD, dual processors. I bought the same exact hardware, built a new server box, and boom - I also had the only 32 player UT2004 server with 0 rubberbanding on any map.

*IF* it turms out that some other GSP has 64 player BF4 on all maps with 0 lag/rubberbanding on all maps, I'll bet it will be a similar situation - find out what hardware they are running.
axRhino
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by axRhino »

Jamesonp wrote:Our servers lag so horribly on Golmund, Paracel, and Lancang. I know we've submitted multiple tickets and were told they are caused by the maps but why does it seem only the NFO servers are seeing these issues?
We have a VDS with NFO running 40-48 slots (lags / rubberbands horribly with 48) and we play mixed tdm, dom, small conquest and large conquest. The large conquest maps see the worst performance by far. The levelution, building destruction and effects seem to compound these issues.

We have been using another GSP to test running it as a single hosted game and it runs much better. We see minimal lag and rubberbanding even with 64 players and lots of damage going on. This isn't to say the other GSP is better than NFO but if you can afford it the package rental may be the way to go vs running it on a VDS.
axRhino
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by axRhino »

There is also this..which seems to be happening almost daily:
We saw a couple more very large DDoS attacks in Chicago at a bit after 7pm CST today. We immediately dropped traffic to the destinations involved, but as usual, upstream transit does not respect these null-routes and packet loss continued for a couple of minutes until the attacker stopped hitting the target customers.

These were against customers that haven't been attacked before. We are bracing for further seemingly random attacks like these and will continue to respond immediately to them.
At the time this event happened we had a good sized crowd playing. The DDoS attack pretty much drove everyone out for the rest of the night.
plasma
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by plasma »

My server always lags on Dam, Railroad and Resort.. So those have been removed. Also lags on Storm but since it's a popular map and seeds the server, I don't mind as much.
wihgaming
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by wihgaming »

Is it possible for NFO to review our servers' configurations to see what could possibly be causing this lag on these maps? Perhaps it's some hardware settings that can be optimized or maybe there's a bottle-neck somewhere?