Question About New Update Process

TimSad
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Question About New Update Process

Post by TimSad »

Since the last BF4 game server update, I've noticed that the game servers are being restarted twice. I was wondering what is different now that would make this required? The part I'm confused about is the "then go down again while the update is extracted" part...
BF4 server version R18 (101684) has been sent to us and DICE has asked us to roll it out at 1am PST. Shortly after that time, you should see your server kick all players and restart (after a warning), then go down again while the update is extracted.
Thanks in advance for the clarification!
                                                Our NFO Battlefield Servers!
ImageImage
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Question About New Update Process

Post by Edge100x »

DICE provides a mechanism to "gracefully" shut down the server by stopping it after the round, and we use this. The server then restarts automatically, as all servers do in our system. After the restart, it has to be taken down a second time in order to be actually updated.

Since this update includes a client component, clients will be unable to connect after the first restart, until the update finishes, and everything works smoothly with minimal disruption.
TimSad
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: Question About New Update Process

Post by TimSad »

Ahhh! That's a pretty nice feature they put in. That way there aren't really any interrupted games during the update processes now. This post explains the matter of my inquiry very well. Thanks, John!
                                                Our NFO Battlefield Servers!
ImageImage