Hanging on Map Change

TimSad
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Re: Hanging on Map Change

Post by TimSad »

OddJob001_XI wrote:We have had 6 map rotation 'hangups' in the last 3 days. Twice again this morning. This was with NFO only map cycler. We are now removing the NFO map cycler and will let Procon handle the maps to see what happens. Will report back.
There will probably be no difference. My servers still occasionally get this problem and I'm using the Maplist.txt straight up.
                                                Our NFO Battlefield Servers!
ImageImage
geronimo
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by geronimo »

I'm not using the NFO Map Cicyler either and the only server we have the black screen between map change is on our Rush server and this only happens sometimes to a few players. For the most part, it's fine.
OddJob001_XI
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by OddJob001_XI »

TimSad wrote:
OddJob001_XI wrote:We have had 6 map rotation 'hangups' in the last 3 days. Twice again this morning. This was with NFO only map cycler. We are now removing the NFO map cycler and will let Procon handle the maps to see what happens. Will report back.
There will probably be no difference. My servers still occasionally get this problem and I'm using the Maplist.txt straight up.
So far no hang ups since we switch to Procon > NFO Cycler. 24 hour mark right now.
OddJob001_XI
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by OddJob001_XI »

FYI - 5 days later and not a single hang up on map list change once we stopped using NFO cycler and let Procon handle it.
Give it a try if you are having issues. Works great. Something must be slightly wrong with their map changer.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Except that TimSad said that he had the problem with no cycler enabled at all =\.
TimSad
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by TimSad »

Yeah, I doubt the NFO map cycle thing has anything to do with it. It does seem, however, that if you fuss around with setting a next map (going outside of natural rotation), then it is more prone for this problem to pop up. However, it'll still occasionally happen without that being the case.

Sometimes it'll hang on the map for just 1 or 2 minutes maybe before it finally starts loading the next map. Sometimes, you can leave it for 5 minutes and then it'll finally do something afterward. Sometimes if you try to force a next map to load, it'll work but not all the time. And then finally some other times you'll find that you probably have no choice but to restart the server.
ImageImage
OddJob001_XI
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by OddJob001_XI »

We are going on day 6. We also have OB/CQ and Carrier Assault Maps with VoteMap, so it never follows the set cycle.
Day 6 - no map hang ups. For testing purposes I would go back to NFO to see if we get them again, its the only time we did. But I dont want to chance that it will happen again.

Not a single map hangup on 3 servers using procon as the map list manager.

Now time to implement Ultimate Map Manager again. yay.
TimSad
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by TimSad »

OddJob001_XI wrote:We are going on day 6. We also have OB/CQ and Carrier Assault Maps with VoteMap, so it never follows the set cycle.
Day 6 - no map hang ups. For testing purposes I would go back to NFO to see if we get them again, its the only time we did. But I dont want to chance that it will happen again.

Not a single map hangup on 3 servers using procon as the map list manager.

Now time to implement Ultimate Map Manager again. yay.
Maybe the only reason that the NFO map cycler would cause the issue to occur more frequently is because it uses the mapList.* commands to set next maps and such rather than letting the game server naturally go about its rotation. I bring this up because, like I said in my previous post...
It does seem, however, that if you fuss around with setting a next map (going outside of natural rotation), then it is more prone for this problem to pop up. However, it'll still occasionally happen without that being the case.
This might apply only if I'm right about the NFO map cycler using those map manipulation commands (mapList.*).
ImageImage
TimSad
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by TimSad »

Whaddya know! It just happened on my TDM server just now! Was going off of Nansha Strike and onto Lancang Dam and took about 5 minutes until it finally budged. Again, I don't use NFO cycler, any map managing plugins, and I did not even mess around with setting a next map or anything like that.
ImageImage
OddJob001_XI
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by OddJob001_XI »

Are you using procon, rconn, or what to manage the list?
Have you started recording what map changes it is hanging on?

We haven't had a map hang change in over a week now. Maybe we can try to figure what the commonality or difference is?

Edit: Or maybe the latest R32 patch fixes it.
geronimo
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by geronimo »

Patch R32:
"R32 Server Update Notes
-Fix for an issue where the player could get stuck in a loading screen on a server that had an uneven number of slots "

Maybe this is it
TimSad
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by TimSad »

OddJob001_XI wrote:Are you using procon, rconn, or what to manage the list?

We haven't had a map hang change in over a week now. Maybe we can try to figure what the commonality or difference is?

Well, how do you know that it hasn't happened in over a week? By my experience, you have to actually be around and playing on your server to know whether or not it's happened. Unless you're actually playing the server or players come into your TS and tell you what's going on, I'm not sure how you would know that it is happening.
ImageImage
OddJob001_XI
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by OddJob001_XI »

TimSad wrote:
OddJob001_XI wrote:Are you using procon, rconn, or what to manage the list?

Well, how do you know that it hasn't happened in over a week? By my experience, you have to actually be around and playing on your server to know whether or not it's happened. Unless you're actually playing the server or players come into your TS and tell you what's going on, I'm not sure how you would know that it is happening.
I know every single thing that happens on our server. We have 24/7 admins that all abide by logging everything that happens. There is never a time that an admin is not playing. If there is than we have plenty of regulars that notify us as well. Its not that difficult to tell by looking at the event logs on the layer. All you have to do is look for when you lost a ton of players, go look at the event logs and see the time it took to do a levelload change.

On a side note, we have had no map cycle change issues for weeks now. We use Ultimate Map Manager with votemap to handle all map changes.
TimSad
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by TimSad »

Looks like it happened about an hour ago on my Conquest server. Emptied it completely out and I still had to restart the server. Couldn't get it to load the next map or any other map. Lame...
ImageImage