Unusal ping hike

SlickToxic
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Unusal ping hike

Post by SlickToxic »

For awhile now Ive noticed a hike in ping rate to Chicago's BF4 NFO's servers.
After some research on the topic i contacted my ISP "Shaw in canada " and this was the response
i received.
corbin replied (in response to slicktoxic) 2 days ago

To clarify: NFO's network provider is pretending their BGP routes due to DoS attacks or some such. This is telling our BGP to prefer the route via Seattle. NFO can have their network providers fix that any time.
I spoke with the server owner over the issue, he was experiencing the same problems.
As of yesterday his ping was back down to what he used to have.
Myself I'm still currently still in the high 80's to 100's, were as before i was in the 50's to 60's
on his Chicago's servers.
Im not sure if this is turning into a blame game between yourselves and Shaw, but if you could
give me some insight to what is going on I'd be greatly appreciative.

Below is a winMTR of whats happening on my end. (location - Alberta, Canada)

Code: Select all

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|                                      WinMTR statistics                                   |
|                       Host              -   %  | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
|                            Linksys00528 -    0 |  624 |  624 |    0 |    4 |   17 |    3 |
|                   No response from host -  100 |  126 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |
|    rc3so-tge0-0-0-8-18.cg.shawcable.net -    0 |  625 |  625 |   13 |   20 |   38 |   29 |
|      rc5wt-tge0-4-0-10.wa.shawcable.net -    0 |  625 |  625 |   35 |   45 |   69 |   46 |
|            xe-9-2-0.sea22.ip4.tinet.net -    0 |  625 |  625 |   35 |   47 |  133 |   47 |
|            xe-3-2-0.chi12.ip4.tinet.net -    0 |  624 |  624 |   87 |   96 |  168 |   90 |
|               internap-gw.ip4.tinet.net -    0 |  625 |  625 |   67 |   74 |   95 |   77 |
|         border6.po2-bbnet2.chg.pnap.net -    1 |  614 |  611 |   67 |   89 |  295 |   86 |
|c-192-223-30-154.managed-vds.internap-chicago.nfoservers.com -    0 |  625 |  625 |   66 |   77 |  115 |   78 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
   WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Unusal ping hike

Post by Edge100x »

He must have meant "prepending" :).

We made a post about this on Facebook on the 9th. Internap is still working on a fix from their end and I am still following up with them frequently about it. Shaw could also change the path from their side (since they are choosing how to reach us).
Evi1_0ne
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Evi1_0ne »

No matter what is done it seems that all this DDOS mitigation still causes collateral damage for a number of servers. This causes bad lag spikes, complete player dumps, partial server dumps, high pings. I live less than 10 miles from our server and my latency on our server is terrible at times.

Most of these attacks are targeting NFO directly. At times the CEO of NFO (Timex) is called out on twitter right before NFO is taken down. This seems like something personal against NFO, which is causing major problems for all of us who rent servers from NFO.

Check out the hackers twitter account, you'll notice the he has no problems announcing when NFO is down due to an attack.

[snip]

Theres more if you want to keep reading back to last summer. NFO has known who has been doing this for some time. This doesnt seem to be letting up, NFO keeps getting more and more bandwidth just to absorb the attacks, and all our servers are suffering due to these attacks.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Evi1_0ne wrote:No matter what is done it seems that all this DDOS mitigation still causes collateral damage for a number of servers. This causes bad lag spikes, complete player dumps, partial server dumps, high pings. I live less than 10 miles from our server and my latency on our server is terrible at times.
That's actually not the case. Overall issues due to DDoS attacks are rare now.

If you're potentially having personal routing problems, you should contact us about these directly.
Most of these attacks are targeting NFO directly. At times the CEO of NFO (Timex) is called out on twitter right before NFO is taken down. This seems like something personal against NFO, which is causing major problems for all of us who rent servers from NFO.
TimeX is not the CEO of NFO.

Some attackers consider NFO to have the best DDoS protection available for game servers and when they are able to take down one of our customers, they like to brag about it. This is not a common occurrence.
Check out the hackers twitter account, you'll notice the he has no problems announcing when NFO is down due to an attack.
We've had enough advertisement of this guy already in the forums here, so I removed this section. He launches attacks for the attention and it does not make sense to give him more of it.

Note that he hasn't launched an attack (at least that we have noticed here) since February 22, and the network issue that he took credit for on February 22 was actually due to an upstream provider going down.
Theres more if you want to keep reading back to last summer. NFO has known who has been doing this for some time.
Most attacks are not launched by a single person or group. Instead, DDoS attacks are launched by a wide variety of attackers, many of which run basic "booter" sites and have a small network of compromised machines. All GSPs see frequent DDoS attacks, not just us; the main difference between NFO and other GSPs is that we are good at filtering most of them such that they are not customer-affecting.

Whenever an attack does hurt someone other than the targeted customer (which, again, is uncommon), we communicate this to the other affected customers. We are not shy about being honest and keeping customers informed.
This doesnt seem to be letting up, NFO keeps getting more and more bandwidth just to absorb the attacks, and all our servers are suffering due to these attacks.
I keep ridiculously close tabs on the network here and investigate even the most minor problems. It is absolutely not true that attacks are causing widespread or frequent problems. If you are seeing issues right now, they have a different cause, likely related to your specific routing and ISP (though there are other possibilities, as well, such as software factors). Comcast and Verizon customers, in particular, have been seeing problems recently, due to their ISPs overloading peering links. Please open a support request and send us a copy of your MTR, and we'll proceed with further tests run from our end.
rustydusty1717
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rustydusty1717 »

Shaw is at it again. Usually get 45ms tops to Seattle

Code: Select all

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

|                                      WinMTR statistics                                   |

|                       Host              -   %  | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |

|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|

|                                10.0.0.1 -    0 |   33 |   33 |    0 |    4 |   13 |    7 |

|                   No response from host -  100 |    7 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |

|        rd3he-ge4-0-0-1.rd.shawcable.net -    0 |   33 |   33 |    9 |   14 |   79 |   14 |

|                            66.163.75.81 -    0 |   33 |   33 |   10 |   17 |   80 |   14 |

|      rc1we-tge0-15-2-0.ed.shawcable.net -    0 |   33 |   33 |   12 |   18 |   82 |   16 |

|                            66.163.64.69 -    0 |   33 |   33 |   59 |   68 |   92 |   67 |

|       rc2so-tge0-6-2-0.cg.shawcable.net -    0 |   33 |   33 |   60 |   69 |   94 |   64 |

|       rc5wt-tge0-4-0-3.wa.shawcable.net -    0 |   33 |   33 |   82 |   91 |  102 |   88 |

|c-208-146-44-118.premium-seattle.nfoservers.com -    0 |   33 |   33 |   80 |   90 |  102 | 

|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|

WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider