BF4 on 4 core managed VDS.

barhund
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Re: BF4 on 4 core managed VDS.

Post by barhund »

Yeah, but even with multi-core on it was topping out at around 27.5% of the four available cores.
rymax99
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rymax99 »

barhund wrote:Yeah, but even with multi-core on it was topping out at around 27.5% of the four available cores.
How much was it using with single core? I'd guess 25% or so? If so, it'd make sense that you're not seeing a performance degrade yet as it's not needing that much more power for normal conditions, as 27% would be it consuming a bit over a core, so it's not being strained enough to notice a degrade. I'd keep it on as you will likely notice a degrade of performance in any maps/other conditions that cause an increased need for processor power.
barhund
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by barhund »

It's been full all day with it limited to single core... So when i get home i will get a chance to see how its doing. The weird thing is that with it on multicore on the water maps it would be clearly suffering from overload above a certain number of players. Yet even under those conditions it wouldnt start utilizing more cpu power.
barhund
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by barhund »

For reference... Right now with 44 people in the server its using 21.27% with an empty l4d2 server up as well.
barhund
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by barhund »

I'm not sure what is causing the difference in CPU usage anymore. Tonight with 46 (and multi off) It was running at ~28% cpu usage and rubberbanding...

My point was that even with multi-core on it doesn't seem to use any more resources making me wonder if I'm missing something when enabling it. Does the VDS need to be restarted maybe?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

The multi-core option would not require a reboot of the VDS, just of the game server. I haven't witnessed it helping performance yet, though.
barhund
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by barhund »

Based on the cpu usage, I don't think it's functioning. But then, I can't see the backend, and what cores are being used by what processes.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

In BF3 I think it was only known to help lower speed cores perform better. When you have fast cores(which most NFO VDS's do now) it makes little/no difference. Even with the multi-core option the main worker thread is still just 1 thread.
Not a NFO employee
barhund
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by barhund »

So... Any idea why the play-now traffic seems to not be working? I had found that reseting my server guid for some reason gets me play-now traffic but even that doesn't seem to be helping.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

I have not heard information on that. One way to investigate would be to use the option and see what server BL puts you into, then going through and copying that server's settings to see if you start getting more players.
barhund
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by barhund »

but up until recently my server was jam packed full with a waiting list to get in... I didn't change anything. And yet, now nothing. I'll get joiners but it doesn't seem to be getting any play-now traffic. It's just weird.
barhund
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by barhund »

Just an update... while i was seeding this morning I noticed an EA tester join, and then I started getting play now traffic seems to be working again.