BF4 on 4 core managed VDS.

barhund
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

BF4 on 4 core managed VDS.

Post by barhund »

Okay, so I've been fiddling with my 48 slot server trying to get it to run in tip top shape.

The VDS is running (2) L4D2 servers, and the 48 slot BF4 server (set to official). I've noticed that when the BF4 server is fully loaded it uses about 25% of the cpu time, and that players start to complain about lag as it maxes out.

So I saw that there is a setting in my managed panel for the BF4 server to use multi-threading. I'm guessing that it's probably maxing its cpu (1/4 = 25%) I wanted to know if anyone else had tried this and saw a benefit?
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: BF4 on 4 core managed VDS.

Post by soja »

barhund wrote:Okay, so I've been fiddling with my 48 slot server trying to get it to run in tip top shape.

The VDS is running (2) L4D2 servers, and the 48 slot BF4 server (set to official). I've noticed that when the BF4 server is fully loaded it uses about 25% of the cpu time, and that players start to complain about lag as it maxes out.

So I saw that there is a setting in my managed panel for the BF4 server to use multi-threading. I'm guessing that it's probably maxing its cpu (1/4 = 25%) I wanted to know if anyone else had tried this and saw a benefit?
I would expect BF4 to max a core on a VDS, which CPU is on your VDS(can be seen on the "server health" tab of your game server)?

We did not get any performance boost when this option was available for BF3 on our VDS(which we no longer have).
Not a NFO employee
barhund
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by barhund »

"Your server is currently being hosted on a 4 cores of a Dual Intel Xeon X5675 (Westmere-EP 3.06ghz) node with 4 total processor cores and 4 gigabytes of RAM."
barhund
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by barhund »

Looking at the specs... that cpu is actually EOL...
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

It is still a very fast CPU. You could open a ticket and ask if there is a newer CPU available in your location.
Not a NFO employee
Vanderburg
Former staff
Former staff

Post by Vanderburg »

We can't anticipate what will be run on a VDS, so the system simply assigns what is available, but soja is right, if your need a faster processor for a specific purpose (BF4 could definitely require that), then simply submit a support request to us and we can see about moving you to a faster machine.
barhund
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by barhund »

Awesome, thank you guys for the advice I just put the ticket in now.
barhund
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by barhund »

BAM! resolved! Definitely why I love NFO. Support second to NONE!
barhund
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by barhund »

Has anyone experimented with the HPET for vds to see how that effects bf4 servers? (Its enabled right now on mine)
barhund
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by barhund »

I only ask because id like to find a way to open up the 4 slots (without causing lag) that are unusued on my server due to rubberbanding when it goes above 42 soldiers and 2 commanders.

The server is doing way better than it was with the old cpu i can get a solid 42+2 without any issues. Just cant go any higher.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

As far as I know HPET is highly recommended for game servers.
Not a NFO employee
barhund
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by barhund »

i figured it was... any idea what is in the patch ea just pushed out to us?
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

I check here for updates: http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/fo ... 683803785/

Not sure if you will get them faster than that :)
Not a NFO employee
barhund
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by barhund »

So far from what I have learned about EA's fantastic coding skills.

The water maps cause lag, and if I turn them off the server runs better.

I had sworn I tested it with single, and multi-core on, and found that it ran better with multi-core.
However, before the patch last night I switched it to single so when it patched it went to that. CPU usage went down and now I can run it with max players without issues (so far).
rymax99
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rymax99 »

barhund wrote:So far from what I have learned about EA's fantastic coding skills.

The water maps cause lag, and if I turn them off the server runs better.

I had sworn I tested it with single, and multi-core on, and found that it ran better with multi-core.
However, before the patch last night I switched it to single so when it patched it went to that. CPU usage went down and now I can run it with max players without issues (so far).
I don't know much about Battlefield 4 servers, but it'd make sense that the CPU usage would go down if the program is limited to only a single core - it can only be utilizing a maximum of one core. If there isn't a performance degrade/lag in the server from turning multiple-core support on, I'd do that at the cost of using a bit more resources. If there's some event/map that causes more resource usage and it doesn't have the resources it needs, you'll run into issues.