firewalls disabled?

Cain
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

firewalls disabled?

Post by Cain »

John, have you folks removed the ability to block IPs via Firewall?
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Re: firewalls disabled?

Post by kraze »

On a good portion of our machines we were forced to disable the firewall due to a performance limitation within Windows that would cause the entire machine to freeze up under certain attacks. We contacted Microsoft about this isse in 2013 and so far have been unable to get a resolution.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
Cain
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Cain »

Thank you for the reply but that is disappointing. I do not recall getting an email or message about this having been done to my server.

I suspect other admins here have had their firewalls disabled and are unaware of it.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

Cain wrote:Thank you for the reply but that is disappointing. I do not recall getting an email or message about this having been done to my server.

I suspect other admins here have had their firewalls disabled and are unaware of it.
Well the firewall is not per server, but per machine and we do post a warning to the firewall tab about it being disabled and why it is disabled.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
Cain
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Cain »

So if some other server on my box got DDOS'd then my firewall would also be disabled, correct?
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

Cain wrote:So if some other server on my box got DDOS'd then my firewall would also be disabled, correct?
Not in general, but certain types of attacks could trigger the issue at hand and cause it to get disabled, yes.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
Cain
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Cain »

kraze wrote:
Cain wrote:So if some other server on my box got DDOS'd then my firewall would also be disabled, correct?
Not in general, but certain types of attacks could trigger the issue at hand and cause it to get disabled, yes.
Like I said. I never recall seeing an email of any type of message telling me my firewall had been disabled.

You have to go the firewall section or your CP, then scroll all the way to the bottom to discover that Those IP addresses you entered - and are still there - are no longer being blocked.

It would have been preferable to have gotten an email message telling me the feature had been disabled.
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by TacTicToe »

I have come across a tool that I am testing for other servers on our box. I would be interested to see how it works for people who have BF4 servers. This tool seems to have the ability to create ban lists based on IPs. It has its own firewall protection for game servers. You may want to upload and run it on your VDS or dedi, so it is always online.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gsprote ... p_redirect
Cain
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Cain »

Thx for posting that!

John or anyone at NFO, can we get something like this added to our servers??
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

It is not likely we'll expand our system functionality to support this. This tool(while likely handy) appears to be a better ban list. Unfortunately, Dice/EA have removed banning users on official servers for a reason and using this could be seen as trying to circumvent their decision. This could not only land us in trouble, but your personal server as well.

If you feel you are a target of an attack contact us via the "help" tab, so that we can dig deeper with you and mitigate if needed.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!