Server Performance

mikedbom
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Server Performance

Post by mikedbom »

Just wondering how everyone else is fairing on the BF4 servers. I have played on a few different NFO hosted servers (Chicago, LA, Dallas) and have experienced a laggyness and I'm not sure if it is server related or my machine. There's no delay lag (connection issues) but movement and shooting feels very cumbersome, kinda like moving in mud. I have not attempted to reduce resolution yet. My ping is around 40. Overall, the game seems awesome, just keep getting my butt kicked.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: Server Performance

Post by soja »

NFO has on their loading page punkbuster is causing performance issues. Other than that, 64 player servers seem to have some hiccups, NFO said DICE was having a problem with the server not using multiple cores, not sure if that is fixed yet, but 64 slot needs more than 1 core I think to run smooth.

I would guess that by release, these issues would be fixed.
Not a NFO employee
Sim
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Sim »

mikedbom wrote:Just wondering how everyone else is fairing on the BF4 servers. I have played on a few different NFO hosted servers (Chicago, LA, Dallas) and have experienced a laggyness and I'm not sure if it is server related or my machine. There's no delay lag (connection issues) but movement and shooting feels very cumbersome, kinda like moving in mud. I have not attempted to reduce resolution yet. My ping is around 40. Overall, the game seems awesome, just keep getting my butt kicked.
If you don't see lots of people complaining in-game its probably your machine. When i played on NFO bf4 beta servers i didn't notice laggyness or see other people complaining about it.

I would recommend manually updating PB using PBsetup on punkbuster.com website. If you change any video settings exit the game and restart Origin.
mikedbom
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by mikedbom »

makes sense...thanks guys. I dont think i've ever updated PB for BF so I'll do that tonight. I'll play with the resolution too.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

You might also try different graphics card drivers. They can make a big difference (sometimes going backwards can even help).
mikedbom
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by mikedbom »

I'm using a GTX260 card and had to update the drivers past v320.0. perhaps my card needs to be updated but I will try the resolution deal first and also wait until release day to make that decision. Havent had issues with BF3 and that is the reason I was suspecting the beta servers. Thanks for the input.
Sorry
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Sorry »

I was running windows 7 and the game did not run well, fps drops, stuttering. Running windows 8 now and the game run smooth. There is issues with windows 7 and BF4. I would think DICE would patch up the win7 problems before release.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

The beta drivers are what fixed a good portion of stuttering/FPS drops for me. Even then the beta likes CPU and I found it using 60-70% of my 2600K.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
mikedbom
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by mikedbom »

kraze wrote:The beta drivers are what fixed a good portion of stuttering/FPS drops for me. Even then the beta likes CPU and I found it using 60-70% of my 2600K.
you're talking about the beta gfx card drivers? I did not attempt those yet. I saw them but thought otherwise.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

mikedbom wrote:
kraze wrote:The beta drivers are what fixed a good portion of stuttering/FPS drops for me. Even then the beta likes CPU and I found it using 60-70% of my 2600K.
you're talking about the beta gfx card drivers? I did not attempt those yet. I saw them but thought otherwise.
Yes, those were pretty much a requirement to play smoothly and were recommended by many in the community, I believe there was a post on the forum from EA that mentioned you should use them.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

With the combination of BETA drivers from nvidia(like kraze said) and the ~61MB patch that DICE released, the game is virtually lag-free for me now.

The problem pre update and pre driver was my GPU usage would drop to 0, and that is when I would experience the severe fps dips in-game.

the game uses 85+% of my 4.5Ghz 3570k. This game loves more cores, and I think AMDs 6 and 8 core customers are having a good time right now lol.

I am running win7, and now everything ultra I usually never dip below 60, I did a couple times last time I played(last night) but that was just to low 50's.

The GTX 260 is now a VERY dated card. You should look into something like the 760(around $250) as a good upgrade. This game needs more than 896MB vRAM.

I am using:
3570k(Core I5) @ 4.5Ghz
GTX 670 SLI
16GB DDR3 1866Mhz
Not a NFO employee
Zipperbag
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Zipperbag »

Id recommend considering the latest R9 card from AMD. Ive read that the R9 280X is a rebadged 7970, but it appears that some list support for DirectX 11.2. along w Mantle..

Im pretty sure that if you don't already have Win 8 (MS has a free upgrade to 8.1) that I would make that a secondary upgrade.

It might be a good idea to list your Rig, when considering performance. Personally I would go so far as to say the unreleased 290X may be the beast for BF4, But the wrong CPU could be the performance issue.

fwiw I believe my 2nd gen GTX ran the game pretty good, once the latest patch was released. Now a friend of mine installed a 770, and was kinda shocked that his 470's performance was quite similar.
FlyingMongoose
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by FlyingMongoose »

I have no client side issues with frames or slowdown, running a Core I7 3770 (not K), 16 GB DDR3, 4 250GB SSD's in a raid, a Radon HD 7970 OC 3 GB. And I'm running the beta on Ultra and NOT using any beta drivers (despite recommendations from the Battlefield forums).
badbadrobot
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by badbadrobot »

I played a few other game server companies BF4 servers and they were horribly labby, crashed a lot. After that I played nothing but NFO servers. Best performance hands down!
Founder of GSN Gaming.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

badbadrobot wrote:I played a few other game server companies BF4 servers and they were horribly labby, crashed a lot. After that I played nothing but NFO servers. Best performance hands down!
For the entire beta my server browser filter was "nfo" for the servers hostname. I didn't even try others :D
Not a NFO employee