vars.mpExperience not in startup.txt for Official servers?

Source41
A semi-regular
A semi-regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Re: vars.mpExperience not in startup.txt for Official server

Post by Source41 »

What I have been doing is when the server crashes or there is lag and restart it, is set the preset map selection to CQCLASSIC, submit the changes and then restart the server. Once it is reloaded I check battle log to make sure that our server is Normal and experience conquest. The default map with this has been 32 siege of shanghai. Then I go back to easy set up set the preset map rotation back to "use your mapcycle" submit. Final step is to !nextmap in console and it loads the next map in my rotation which is all 64 player maps.

Is this about right or is there an easier/better way of doing it?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

You shouldn't need to do the "use your mapcycle" step.

Actually, if you are using our map cycler, the custom map cycle will automatically be run after the first map. All you need to do is, after the server restarts, manually enter !nextmap (or, you just wait, and when it cycles normally, it will load things up as well).
Source41
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Source41 »

Thanks for clearing that up. That makes it easier knowing that someone doesn't need to be watching the server constantly. One more question. Will the 32 man map come back after we go through the rotation or will it be gone?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

After running once when the server starts up (for those two rounds), you won't see another map that isn't in your chosen cycle.
Cyrcle
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Cyrcle »

Edge100x wrote:You shouldn't need to do the "use your mapcycle" step.

Actually, if you are using our map cycler, the custom map cycle will automatically be run after the first map. All you need to do is, after the server restarts, manually enter !nextmap (or, you just wait, and when it cycles normally, it will load things up as well).
It seems to choose one map at random to run twice in the rotation for some reason. At least it lists it that way in Battlelog. Haven't confirmed it yet.
wihgaming
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by wihgaming »

Cyrcle wrote:

It seems to choose one map at random to run twice in the rotation for some reason. At least it lists it that way in Battlelog. Haven't confirmed it yet.
I noticed this as well. It also shows up in the maplist.txt file. It would be awesome if the map-cycler can run the maps exactly in the order and frequency specified in the Easy Setup page.
plasma
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by plasma »

I've always run "use your mapcycle" and it works fine. Plus I get in quick join. is that not the way it's suppose to work?
Last edited by plasma on Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

If you are using a random cycle, the map list that it puts on the server is a dummy, and just represents all the maps that could run. The actual cycle is randomly chosen as the maps change.

plasma, you can use either way. vars.mpExperience (the preset option) just gets you "Play now" traffic, so most people will want to use it if they're running an Official server (that's generally why people run Official serers).
plasma
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by plasma »

Edge100x wrote:If you are using a random cycle, the map list that it puts on the server is a dummy, and just represents all the maps that could run. The actual cycle is randomly chosen as the maps change.

plasma, you can use either way. vars.mpExperience (the preset option) just gets you "Play now" traffic, so most people will want to use it if they're running an Official server (that's generally why people run Official serers).

was not using random cycler.

I was getting the "Play now" traffic the other way => "use your mapcycle". Plus server was listed as "Official"

Is the vars.mpexperience is something I need to put in the startup.txt file?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

If you don't use our random cycler, then the map list that our daemon puts on the server will just be whatever you chose (or whatever you manually set yourself through a 3rd-party utility).

You don't need to manually set vars.mpExperience, because the system sets it for you when you choose an option under "Preset mapcycle". That's what this is for. Simply select one of the preset ones (NOT "use your mapcycle"), reset your server, and continue to use the admin daemon for your cycle (or some 3rd-party cycler), and you're set to get "Play now" traffic.
Cain
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Cain »

OK I tried to set the map cycle as (I thought) described but it seemed to take my server off the "Normal" setting.

I'm guessing this CQCLASSIC cycle only for Official Servers??
plasma
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by plasma »

Cris wrote:I'd like to add to this. I noticed that when I select "use your mapcycle" , we don't seem to pick up the quick match traffic. If I change it to CQCLASSIC and restart the server, if fills up within minutes.
does it fill up on it's own or do you have to have a few on first? with my server, occasionally it fills on it's own, but not always.. I've noticed that when there are 12-15 on, then quick join really kicks in and fills the server up within a few minutes. but under that, i have to slowly wait until a few join.
wihgaming
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by wihgaming »

Thanks John for this functionality! It works great!!!
plasma
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by plasma »

Edge100x wrote:You don't need to manually set vars.mpExperience, because the system sets it for you when you choose an option under "Preset mapcycle". That's what this is for. Simply select one of the preset ones (NOT "use your mapcycle"), reset your server, and continue to use the admin daemon for your cycle (or some 3rd-party cycler), and you're set to get "Play now" traffic.

when using "Preset mapcycle" set to "CQCLASSIC" and "use our map cycler", the server starts with Shanghai, 32 player. when I do !nextmap, it goes to another map that is not listed in my maplist. Plus, the few times I have tried this, the server crashes within a few rounds. The way I have done it, "user your mapcycle" and NOT "use our map cycler", my server seems to run longer. but are you saying I won't get the Quick Joins that way?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Your server will only see "Play now" / "Quickmatch" / whatever players if vars.mpExperience was set to a valid value when the server started.