PPBans vs Metabans or both

mikedbom
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

PPBans vs Metabans or both

Post by mikedbom »

I know there are more important issues with the game like crashing and client side bugs but we have pondered using PBBans or Metabans and I'm looking for feedback on user experience.

Is there a benefit to using one or the other?

Does anyone use both or is that not possible?

Does either one really make a difference or will PB alone eliminate cheaters without having to stream to one of these guys?

Thanks for the help.
Clumppy
A regular
A regular

Re: PPBans vs Metabans or both

Post by Clumppy »

I personally only use PB Bans as the bans are found by EvenBalance and then streamed through all PB enabled servers.
With Metabans that is ran by a community so any admin that wants to ban you for stupid stuff such as using a specific weapon and throw a ban into meta bans, you will be banned from all servers streaming to Metabans.
Ruger
A regular
A regular

Post by Ruger »

Been running PBBans, GGC-Stream, ACI and Metabans since BF3 and now on my BF4 server no problem.
mikedbom
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by mikedbom »

Ruger wrote:Been running PBBans, GGC-Stream, ACI and Metabans since BF3 and now on my BF4 server no problem.
seems like a lot of stuff to stream. i'm sure it doesnt affect server load but is that all really necessary or just peace of mind?
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

Running this many streaming items can actually affect server performance. It's one of the first things our staff is going to look for if you complain of issues on your server, especially BF3/BF4. Even running one can cause issues.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
Sim
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Sim »

PBBans will only ban a player if they have proof from a server that is streaming to them.
Metabans allows server admins to ban anyone they want for any reason. The banlist is shared to anyone that subscribes to your metabans account.
RexKramer
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by RexKramer »

we are running both so far no problems. Just learning metabans this is new to me and Im limiting whom I follow, was hoping to get an NFO grp going. Theres another thread on that

rex
---
XDE4TH
A regular
A regular

Post by XDE4TH »

Streaming PBBans & ACI in BF4. Was streaming PBBans, ACI & GGC in BF3. Never really experienced any problems.

The reason you would do one over the other is exactly for what you said, the extra protection. You can opt to follow external ban lists at PBBans and ACI does it automatically...however these are only updated from each other periodically I believe every 4-6hrs(might be longer).

So for example, Player A could of got banned by PBBans for a PB Violation or PBSS. If your server is only streaming to ACI, that player could join your server until ACI pulls the PBBans MBi and that could be at least 4-6hrs.

If your streaming to both(or all three including GGC) then you make sure you are getting all the latest bans from all the different sources. Also, then when a player gets busted in your server that ban goes out to all of the services you choose to stream, making it that much more difficult for the cheater to find a server to play in.

MetaBans....no ty, just my opinion.
mikedbom
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by mikedbom »

XDE4TH wrote:Streaming PBBans & ACI in BF4. Was streaming PBBans, ACI & GGC in BF3. Never really experienced any problems.

The reason you would do one over the other is exactly for what you said, the extra protection. You can opt to follow external ban lists at PBBans and ACI does it automatically...however these are only updated from each other periodically I believe every 4-6hrs(might be longer).

So for example, Player A could of got banned by PBBans for a PB Violation or PBSS. If your server is only streaming to ACI, that player could join your server until ACI pulls the PBBans MBi and that could be at least 4-6hrs.

If your streaming to both(or all three including GGC) then you make sure you are getting all the latest bans from all the different sources. Also, then when a player gets busted in your server that ban goes out to all of the services you choose to stream, making it that much more difficult for the cheater to find a server to play in.

MetaBans....no ty, just my opinion.
Thanks XDE4TH, that was very helpful.
marrr
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by marrr »

PBBans only for me.
mainedan
A regular
A regular

Post by mainedan »

PBBans or ACI, metabans is like what others have said, admins are able to set bans based on what they perceive, not what is provable. Personally I think its just another way for badmins to ruin someone gaming.

I have found that ACI is more stable, I have had issues with PBBans in the past getting it to stay streaming, ACI just seams to work.
MaydaX
New to forums
New to forums

Post by MaydaX »

Just an FYI. Seems PB kick and ban commands no longer function in the next server release (R11) on official servers.

That will mean anti-cheat communities will no longer be able to kick and ban previously caught cheaters.
mikedbom
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by mikedbom »

i guess we'll have to change the server to ranked then. i will not run a server i have no control over.