Noob Server Question; x-post from General

Amarillo Cat
A semi-regular
A semi-regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Help with Insurgency server, post-update

Post by Amarillo Cat »

Disclaimer: Was total server noob (really like a zygot, not even a fully-formed noob), have graduated to noob-ish, but still pretty dumb.

About 8-9 months ago I rented space for a dedicated Insurgency server that could run coop maps for me and my friends to enjoy. At that time I knew absolutely nothing about servers, but with help from Soja, a local friend, and Google (mostly Soja), I learned to edit my server.cfg, checkpoint.cfg and others, and to FTP new maps and content that I could make instantly downloadable for my friends. We played checkpoint and hunt maps, and it was pretty sweet. I felt I had graduated from server kindernoob to well, whatever comes after that.

The recent update of the 29th shattered my noob-view, and also bollixed up my server completely. After the update I could play a single checkpoint map repeatedly and that was it. This was somewhat less fun that previously. The hard working individuals at tech support did what they could to help (the server content was wiped and re-installed), but right now the best I can manage is using the Easy Setup panel to list a handful of mostly stock coop checkpoint maps. The Hunt maps do not show up in the voting system at the end of a round anymore at all. I dare not even ask about Conquest at this point.

So, is there someone who might be willing to use small words and a patient approach to help me get things back to what they were? I really need specifics in some instances, in particular how I amend my configuration files to get the content back so it is playable and shows up in the voting system.

Anyway, thank you!

p.s. If this is the wrong section of this forum for this question I apologize, and please feel free to move it wherever you think appropriate.
Amarillo Cat
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Noob Server Question; x-post from General

Post by Amarillo Cat »

About 8-9 months ago I rented space on a dedicated Insurgency server that could run coop maps for me and my friends to enjoy. At that time I knew absolutely nothing about servers, but with help from Soja, a local friend, and Google, I learned to edit my server.cfg, checkpoint.cfg and others, and to FTP new maps and content that I could make instantly downloadable for my friends. We play checkpoint and hunt maps.

The recent update of the 29th bollixed up my server completely. After the update I could play a single checkpoint map repeatedly and that was it. The hard working individuals at tech support did what they could to help (the server content was wiped and re-installed), but right now the best I can manage is using the Easy Setup panel to list a handful of mostly stock coop checkpoint maps. The Hunt maps do not show up in the voting system at the end of a round anymore at all.

So, is there someone who might be willing to use small words and a patient approach to help me get things back to what they were? I really need specifics in some instances, in particular how I amend my configuration files to get the content back so it is playable and shows up in the voting system.

Anyway, thank you!
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Re: Noob Server Question; x-post from General

Post by kraze »

This change was definitely a bit confusing. Here's what your mapcycle_coop.txt should look like now.

Code: Select all

buhriz_coop checkpoint
district_coop checkpoint
embassy_coop checkpoint
heights_coop checkpoint
market_coop checkpoint
ministry_coop checkpoint
revolt_coop checkpoint
siege_coop checkpoint
sinjar_coop checkpoint
tell_coop checkpoint
verticality_coop checkpoint
You'll also need to edit your autoexec.cfg to match with the "checkpoint" ending.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
Amarillo Cat
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Amarillo Cat »

kraze wrote:This change was definitely a bit confusing. Here's what your mapcycle_coop.txt should look like now.

Code: Select all

buhriz_coop checkpoint
district_coop checkpoint
embassy_coop checkpoint
heights_coop checkpoint
market_coop checkpoint
ministry_coop checkpoint
revolt_coop checkpoint
siege_coop checkpoint
sinjar_coop checkpoint
tell_coop checkpoint
You'll also need to edit your autoexec.cfg to match with the "checkpoint" ending.
Thank you very much Kraze! That was really helpful, and really made my day. I copied and pasted what you wrote just to be sure; my old mapcycle_coop.txt file sort of looked like that but without every map ending with "checkpoint". My new mapcycle_coop.txt is now:

buhriz_coop checkpoint
district_coop checkpoint
embassy_coop checkpoint
heights_coop checkpoint
market_coop checkpoint
ministry_coop checkpoint
revolt_coop checkpoint
siege_coop checkpoint
sinjar_coop checkpoint
tell_coop checkpoint
gizab_b1_coop checkpoint
depot_coop checkpoint
winter_rescue_v1 checkpoint
dry_canal_coop_v4 checkpoint

You can see I have a small handful of custom maps, i.e. winter rescue, dry_canal, depot_coop, and gizab.

Also I edited my autoexec.bat file so that the same map that terminated the mapcycle_coop.txt was listed using the same syntax or checkpoint ending (i.e., a map name). So, now my autoexec.bat has the following:

log 1
map verticality_coop checkpoint

May I please ask you a couple of more questions? (1) Do I need to use Easy Setup now? If so, how? I was using it after the update to list all the checkpoint maps that are in the mapcycle_coop.txt, and each of them played, and each was listed in the voting system. What changes should I make to it, if any? (2) How can I get my hunt maps back, and included in the voting system so my friends can choose them if they like? (3) The same as (2) more or less, but how can I add conquest maps to the list?

Please feel free to over-explain if you like. And, thank you again!
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

The Easy setup tab will place maps into the mapcycle.cfg, so you won't want to use that since it won't be seen by the game. To add hunt/conquest to the rotation I would expect you to just need to add the "hunt" and "conquer" to the ending of the maps, just like checkpoint.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
Amarillo Cat
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Amarillo Cat »

kraze wrote:The Easy setup tab will place maps into the mapcycle.cfg, so you won't want to use that since it won't be seen by the game. To add hunt/conquest to the rotation I would expect you to just need to add the "hunt" and "conquer" to the ending of the maps, just like checkpoint.

Hi Kraze....I did what you suggested, but still no luck! First, I cleared all the maps from Easy Setup, but it forced me to keep one as a seed or starting map, so I did. I amended the checkpoint rotation to include the same maps but with hunt and conquer as "extensions", as you suggested. They did not show up on the voting menu for the choice of game, so no luck there. Interestingly, I used RCON at the server to change one of the maps to a Hunt map, and it did, so the maps are there and can be invoked using RCON. Any additional thoughts you have would be welcome, and thank you again!
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

I forgot to clarify, the first map on the Easy setup tab actually gets specified in the autoexec.cfg, so that one will need to remain there, but the rest can be left blank.

As for the maps. Adding "hunt"..etc to the end of the map will allow it to play, but I'm unsure of how voting works in this game. From my understanding it will automatically pull maps from the mapcycle depending on what gamemode you're running. Though, you can try populating the mapcycle.txt to see if that has an effect.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
rlm850
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rlm850 »

kraze wrote:I forgot to clarify, the first map on the Easy setup tab actually gets specified in the autoexec.cfg, so that one will need to remain there, but the rest can be left blank.
And just to explain this further, for ease, NFO has the "starting map" of the server ready to be entered on that easy setup tab. If it is not specified, the server will not boot. It must be specified (just one, the top field that says "Starting map"). This eliminates the CMD being played with unless you have a managed VDS/DS, which will give you access to it.
Amarillo Cat
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Amarillo Cat »

Hi Kraze and rlm850,

Thank you both! I did as you suggested Kraze and put all the maps in the mapcycle.txt file, and it appears the hunt maps are back. I still am figuring out many things as I go, so thank you for helping me get my server to more-or-less back to where it was. I really do appreciate it!

[Parenthetical observation: This update is nice, but I guess I don't see why NWI cannot provide some simple documentation for noobs like me - I suspect, but do not know, that there are others who were kind of puzzled about what to do. I get that NWI and sophisticated users will understand things readily and would find my difficulties laughable, but why leave money on the table by not growing your market at the margins (i.e., noobs, like me, who enjoy the game enough to rent server space, and get friends to buy the game). Given how inexpensive it would be to provide to provide that kind of guidance, I can only assume they are not particularly astute business people.]
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

I am glad to hear that :D

Also, there's definitely documentation out there, it's just scattered and pieces are outdated. Though, yes, Insurgency surely places high for confusion when it comes to configuration. Really wish they'd simplify it a bit.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
Amarillo Cat
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Amarillo Cat »

Hi Kraze!

I hope you will answer another question. It appears, more or less, that my server is sort of back to normal. However, some of the maps show the word HUNT in the lower right corner of the map (in the voting system), but it turns out they are the regular checkpoint maps, just duplicated (but with the word HUNT in the lower right hand corner).

I can invoke the Hunt maps using RCON at the server, but otherwise still no dice.

So, the HUNT maps appear to be listed in the voting system but do not work. The HUNT maps can be invoked using RCON so they are there. Do you have any thoughts on what I might try to get the voting screen working the way it was before?

Thank you!
Amarillo Cat
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Insurgency Server, Noob Followup, New Thread

Post by Amarillo Cat »

Hi Kraze and rlm850,

I hope you will answer another question. It appears, more or less, that my server is sort of back to normal. However, some of the maps show the word HUNT in the lower right corner of the map (in the voting system), but it turns out they are the regular checkpoint maps, just duplicated (but with the word HUNT in the lower right hand corner). FYI, the checkpoint maps also say CHECKPOINT in the lower right hand corner.

I can invoke the Hunt maps using RCON at the server, but otherwise still no dice.

So, the HUNT maps appear to be listed in the voting system but do not work using the voting system. The HUNT maps can be invoked using RCON so they are there. Do you have any thoughts on what I might try to get the voting system working the way it was before?

Thank you!
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

Try adding actually Hunt maps to your map rotation and see if that corrects it. I believe with this new system they did the map voting will only pull maps in the current cycle.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
Amarillo Cat
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Amarillo Cat »

kraze wrote:Try adding actually Hunt maps to your map rotation and see if that corrects it. I believe with this new system they did the map voting will only pull maps in the current cycle.

Thank you for your reply! :)

Do you mean add the maps in the Easy Setup menu, or in the mapcycle.txt file? They are already in the mapcycle.txt. Or, did you mean another file, like the coop file?

:)
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

Add them to your coop mapcycle that you're running.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!