BF2/BF2 Demo

eLectrix
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

BF2/BF2 Demo

Post by eLectrix »

As BF2 has gone gold and according to EA's Australia site a demo is imminent, has any investigation been done on servers? We currently have two BF1942 servers up and really would like to transition one to BF2 as early as possible to continue to develop our user base.

If/when a demo becomes available, we definitely want to run a demo server.

Thanks,

-Jon
Nick|NFo
Former staff
Former staff

Post by Nick|NFo »

We need to wait until they release the dedicated server files to investigate into BF2 servers.

We would need to look into whether there is a windows executable dedicated server platform available, as well as the ability to multi-home (set ip). After running some tests, we can determine cpu usage and other resources needed to run the BF2 server and how it varies per slot. Using that analysis, we can base our pricing for BF2 servers and start implementing support for them on our servers. Shortly after this step, BF2 servers will be available to the public for rental.
-Nick
eLectrix
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster

Post by eLectrix »

Honestly I haven't done a ton of research until tonight as it wasn't really imminent. I understand that the CPU and system resource requirements are going up again (BF1942 was a hog to begin with), and so I expect a price increase.

There's quite a few issues surrounding the use/rental of BF2 servers, ie. ranked versus unranked where ranked are only available through EA and their "partners". I mention this in case you want to investigate that particular aspect of this.

My concern is simply to get in on the ground floor fast. If I know I can get a server up on day 1 or 2, I'm good to go. If not, and we're looking at a week or more, I'll look at other options, at least temporarily. (You've been very good to us :)

Thanks,

-Jon
To'mas
Founder
Founder

Post by To'mas »

We always make servers available as qucikly as a dedicated multihomed executable is released. There has been so many inquiries about this game in our email. We hope to be the first to offer this service.
Last edited by To'mas on Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eLectrix
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster

Post by eLectrix »

Great answer - thanks!

-Jon
To'mas
Founder
Founder

Post by To'mas »

I've emailed one of the people involved with this program to offer our services as a tester of their product.
eLectrix
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster

Post by eLectrix »

Any answers back on the ranked server issue? Until we see the Mod Development Kit, the ranked servers are definitely the way to go.

-e
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Yes, we expect to be able to offer these within a few days.

Keep in mind that ranked servers:

* Can't use a password
* Can't be accessible through FTP
* Can't run custom maps or modifications
eLectrix
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster

Post by eLectrix »

Down the road we'll run two but for now a ranked server is definitely the way to go.
eLectrix
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster

Post by eLectrix »

:mrgreen:
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Yup, we should have ranked servers running sometime in the coming week.

I do not expect our prices to be as high as our competitors have been making them, either -- I've been seeing a lot of price gouging going on for ranked servers.
eLectrix
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster

Post by eLectrix »

Well... Having played on both, I feel like there's a HUGE difference between the resources needed for a ranked and unranked server. I have played on so many ranked servers that have bad machine lag and yet I haven't played on one unranked server (incl ours) that has it and everyone seems to be complaining about it.

-Jon
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Part of that is likely because the ranked servers are more popular (and there are fewer of them). As far as I know, the differences in the actual executables are minor. But, I can't know for certain until we have it in-hand.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

At this point we're waiting on the EA representative in charged of ranked server licensing to come back from vacation. He's been gone since the first of the month and should be back on the 18th.
eLectrix
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster

Post by eLectrix »

Thanks for the update. :)