Higher pings?

Use this forum if you have a relatively general question or comment about a game, Ventrilo, TeamSpeak, or Murmur/Mumble server with us. If you have a server-specific question that might not help out the community, please directly contact us through your control panel instead.
chris686
A semi-regular
A semi-regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Higher pings?

Post by chris686 »

I don't know what the deal is.
Usually my ping in my server is less than 30, but tonight it's a consistent 100.

It's hosted in Atlanta (I'm in northern Florida). It may be my connection, but another clan I know has a server from you guys in Chicago, and my ping is 60-70 there.

I still see others in my server with sub 20 ping, so.. I don't know. Maybe it's me, but I just want to make sure. Are there any reasons why I would be getting better ping from a server located in Chicago? Also, I know this isn't likely, is it possible my server location changed?
chris686
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by chris686 »

Well, I guess the location didn't change. My ping is identical in the NFO Atlanta server.

But jeez, I'm getting better ping in the NFO server hosted in LA.
bOoya
Former staff
Former staff

Post by bOoya »

Normally this is caused by a routing problem. You may be many times closer to the server geographically, but it could be that your data is making some extremely odd route around the country before it winds up in Atlanta. Also sometimes routers or other network hardware start to act up and cause higher ping times.

With InterNAP, often times we can correct such routing deficiencies. To explore this possibility, we need you to send us a tracert. If you go to the 'trace' page in your control panel, there's a link that says "tracert to the server". If you click this link and download and run the file, it will format everything just the way we need it, then you just copy paste it right into an email to rentals@nuclearfallout.net along with a quick description of the problem you're having (high pings).
chris686
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by chris686 »

Thanks for the quick response.

I'll go ahead and send that now.
chris686
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by chris686 »

Yeah, it appears it was my cable provider. I've phoned them, and they think that nothing is wrong. They offered to send someone out to my house (for a fee!), but the thing is, all my buddies in the area are getting ping in the 100s too, instead of the usual 10-30. I had to really spell things out to the guy... "It's not a problem on my side! My friends have the exact same issue!"

Eh, I know this really has nothing to do with nfo, I just need to vent a little. It just sucks when I live in Florida and have an Atlanta server and my connection is hopping all the way to Los angeles before it reaches Atlanta.

Anyways, it's just a rant. I'm just frustrated there's absolutely nothing I can do. If only Cox were like NFo, this problem would be fixed :evil:
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Cable companies can be difficult to deal with when it comes to issues like this, because the first-tier techs usually don't even know what a tracert is, and they don't have a particularly high commitment to customer service. The only way to get things like this fixed sometimes is to become a real thorn in their side by calling frequently and demanding to speak to supervisors :(

With Comcast, I had better luck using the online chat, but I don't know if Cox has that option.
bOoya
Former staff
Former staff

Post by bOoya »

Edge100x wrote:With Comcast, I had better luck using the online chat, but I don't know if Cox has that option.
Same deal here, although it was no treat dealing with the online rep either. Isn't that a little backwards? :wink:
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

We have been discussing your situation with the Cox and InterNAP NOCs today and I am optimistic that we will coordinate a solution to this problem shortly.

(This seems to affect all Cox customers from our Atlanta location.)
chris686
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by chris686 »

Wow.

I really don't know what to say. That's really going beyond the call of duty.

Thanks a lot.

I actually did talk with a guy in the internet chat yesterday.
Basically I told him the deal, and he says to me,
"I'm looking at your connection status right now, and it's not looking good."
Me: What do you mean not looking good?
Him: ::Delayed response::
Him: I can send a technician out to your house to look at it, however, if it's a problem with your hardware there may be a fee. If you would like, we could sign you up for the "Cox: Come to your house if there's something wrong that is easily fixable by anyone with half-a-brain" program for 3.95 a month.
Him: Should I go ahead and sign you up for that?

Of course I knew that there wasn't a problem on my side. I had some local friends that play with me with the same issues.

After thinking about the conversation, I realize how full of <insert four letter word for poo> the guy was.
chris686
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by chris686 »

I was actually thinking of spamming cox with 10 or so e-mails a day until they fixed it, but I guess that won't be necessary 8)
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

The Cox NOC has been very accomodating with us through email, and we were both surprised and appreciative of that. It is disappointing that their tier 1 tech support personnel have comparatively little clue. I suspect that they don't get calls about this sort of behavior very often.

Cox determined that the problem was with one of its peers on the West coast inappropriately advertising InterNAP's (and our) IP block to Cox. Their NOC has contacted this peer and is awaiting a response. I would expect for the routing to be back to normal sometime Monday.
chris686
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by chris686 »

Hey, good news.
It seems they fixed it today.
I appreciate the help, because as far as I know it would still be like this if you guys didn't say anything to them.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

I'm giving the Cox NOC a definite thumbs-up on this one, as they were very helpful. I look forward to working with them in the future if a problem like this arises again.
chris686
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by chris686 »

Hey guys, you asked me for a tracert the other day. It was about a week ago actually.
Sorry, I didn't notice the e-mail. I'll send one now if it can still be helpful.