100Tic Server

amish
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

100Tic Server

Post by amish »

I currently have a 12 man accelerated chicago private server with you guys. I have it set at 100tic in my nfo control panel. But its not a true 100 tic. With net_graph 3 you can see that its only at 66 tic. Ive had several ppl complain about this.

Heres my server:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y172/a ... ke0018.jpg

Heres another company's 100tic server:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y172/a ... st0017.jpg

Is there anything i can do to resolve this? cal season 4 starts on the 9th so i need to somehow get it fixed by then or find another provider.
Nick|NFo
Former staff
Former staff

Post by Nick|NFo »

The tickrate is actually the # of packets/sec that you see for the IN on the far right, not where you have circled. When increasing the tickrate to 100, it allows for more packets/sec to be sent to the client, the "IN".

As you can see on both gameservers, you see about 100/s for the IN. This is also controlled by the cl_updaterate cvar. The "OUT" is controlled by your FPS and/or your cl_cmdrate. For example, if your FPS happened to be 60 for the time being, your OUT would reflect that. If your FPS always is 100+, then it would be limited by your cl_cmdrate, therefore if you have it set to cl_cmdrate 100, it will max out at 100/s.

If you read the the valve developer's wiki site here, under the 'Net Graph' section, it explains that the first column after in: is "the size in bytes of the last incoming packet (snapshots)". Basically increasing the tickrate allows for more packets (snapshots) to be sent per second, not increasing the size of each packet (in bytes). Sometimes the size of the packet will be higher than 100 such as 125 in their image.

Another thing you can try to learn about the tickrate is adjusting the tickrate on your control panel and then connect to your gameserver. You will see that the #/s on the far right will adjust to the setting you chose on the server control page in the control panel (33, 50, 66, 85 or 100).

I hope that explains the IN and OUT packets/sec, packet size in bytes and the tickrate. For future reference, I would recommend that you compare things on the same map as nuke is a rather more intensive map than de_dust is, especially with HDR. Also in the dust snapshot you have players in the gameserver that increases the packet sizes in bytes, as opposed to when the server is empty.
-Nick
amish
New to forums
New to forums

Post by amish »

On most 100tic servers i play on the # for IN on the left stays around 100, but on my server it is always at about 60, regardless of the map. I changed the map to de_dust to see if it how it would compare and it was at a steady 60. So what exactly does this mean?

Also ive always had my cmdrate at 100 since i use Casey's Config. And I never see the OUT number close to 100.
Nick|NFo
Former staff
Former staff

Post by Nick|NFo »

The cl_cmdrate at 100 is perfectly fine when your average fps is 100. In your screenshots, they both show your client fps at ~100 so that cvar is set correctly.

As you can see with the valve documentation (confirmed with second documentation linked below), that the first column you are referring to has nothing to do with the tickrate, but with the size of the packets. The CS:S game itself has an average packet size of 60 when its idle and doing nothing. With action going on in the server, the size increases due to the activity and there would be more data in each packet. When you tested on de_dust, were you alone in the server again (like you were for de_nuke)? If so, that is perfectly normal. Try running around, you will notice that your packet sizes increases since you are creating more data to process. I entered your server this morning and took this screenshot while running around "creating data". While standing still, doing nothing will get you the correct packet byte size of 60.

Another excellent documentation to look at about net_graph 3 is here.
-Nick
amish
New to forums
New to forums

Post by amish »

Oh i see, that actually makes alot of sense now. I guess its just a common misconception that the numbers on the left are what indicate tickrate.

Thanx.