A question about sv_region

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
JayArea
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

A question about sv_region

Post by JayArea »

I would like to know why is it when I hit Find Servers in Steam (for CS:S) I always see the same several servers, yet can never see my own servers. I have the sv_region set to the correct number (1 for west coast). Is there a plugin or setting that these other servers are using to make their servers show up all the time?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: A question about sv_region

Post by Edge100x »

Here are some things to check on your end:

- Are you waiting for the entire list to load?
- Do you have any filters on for your Steam list, that might be excluding your server?
- Are you running the latest version of the game's server?
- Do you have your client connection type set correctly (not too high)?

Steam loads the list based on IP address, so you'll always see the same servers showing up first, even though they might not be good ones. If your connection type is set too high, these first servers will also appear to have low pings and all the other servers will look high, which could mean your server is being bumped out of the list. This is a very common problem.
JayArea
New to forums
New to forums

Post by JayArea »

- Are you waiting for the entire list to load?
I do, but it usually gets to around 800-900 servers and then stops, and no more servers are added.
- Do you have your client connection type set correctly (not too high)?
I am not entirely sure what this is.
Steam loads the list based on IP address, so you'll always see the same servers showing up first, even though they might not be good ones. If your connection type is set too high, these first servers will also appear to have low pings and all the other servers will look high, which could mean your server is being bumped out of the list. This is a very common problem.

So how would I and some of my clan members go about fixing this?

Thanks.
JayArea
New to forums
New to forums

Post by JayArea »

Sorry for the double post, but another thing I noticed, is all the servers that show up on my Find Server list, their IP seems to start with 98.XXX.XXX.XXX.

Is that something wrong on my end? Or is that what you were explaining with Steam showing the list based on IP's?

Thanks.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

You're probably not getting the whole Steam list, then, unless you have a very unusual server type. All of the servers starting with "98." means that the first digit of your personal IP is probably something close to that, as the list fans outward from your IP -- you're seeing those first servers, then your list load is halting, so you're not seeing others.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_art ... -IOAB-2296 talks more about what you can check for this problem.

By the rate, I meant the setting under File->Settings->Downloads in the Steam client (which sets the "rate" in your client). You might try lowering this.