two core vds, performance and OS

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
tcp
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

two core vds, performance and OS

Post by tcp »

So on a Two core VDS, I could run a public, private, and an approx. 50 man vent without problems?

Also, is the price to the right of the initial OS selection a higher monthly fee? Why is Gentoo Linux the same cost as Windows? What type of Windows license is it? Can I use my own license? Are those the only OS installs supported?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: two core vds, performance and OS

Post by Edge100x »

tcp wrote:So on a Two core VDS, I could run a public, private, and an approx. 50 man vent without problems?
Most likely there would not be a CPU or RAM usage problem with this configuration. However, you might run into a licensing issue on the Ventrilo server, as only companies with an agreement with Flagship are allowed to run more than 8 slot servers (and we have to pay for it).
Also, is the price to the right of the initial OS selection a higher monthly fee?
The price on that line represents the cost of the chosen package on a monthly basis. This is the same price you will see at the bottom of the order page, if you choose the monthly rate (and no add-on services).
Why is Gentoo Linux the same cost as Windows?
For simplicity, we have made all operating systems the same rate, and allow customers to change them at will.
What type of Windows license is it?
Only one type of Windows licensing allows leasing -- the "SPLA". This type of volume licensing is what we (and all other legitimate internet hosters) use.
Can I use my own license? Are those the only OS installs supported?
If you have your own volume license key, you can install Windows 2003 x86/x64 or Windows 2008 using the ISOs in our control panel. Right now we aren't set up to allow the use of the private ISO images that would make normal (non-SPLA/volume licensing) installs possible, but if you email me, we can talk about other potential options as far as getting you this support.