Half-life Command Lines

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
axelkic
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Half-life Command Lines

Post by axelkic »

I was tinkering with some HLDS, and I ran into some questions that I couldn't find reliable answers for, so I'll try to summarize them below...

SOURCE ENGINE

I am aware of the Source engine and most of it's parameters as Valve makes them fairly easy in their Wiki pages, but Half-life remains a mystery. So far I use this for my Source engine games...

TF2

Code: Select all

C:\HLServer\orangebox\srcds.exe -game tf -console -port 27015 +maxplayers 24 +exec server.cfg +map ctf_2fort +fps_max 1000
CSS

C:\HLServer-csstrike\srcds.exe -game cstrike -console -port 27020 +maxplayers 12 +exec server.cfg +map de_dust2 +fps_max 1000
These seem to work fine for my FPS, and they run smooth as all games on my NFo VPS do, but I also know that my tickrate is not set, if there is a command for that, I'd love to experiment with it, I love tinkering with the rates and I find that 500FPS is less CPU resources for virtually the same experience as 1000FPS, so correct me if I'm wrong there, so I digress :)

HALF-LIFE ENGINE

CS

C:\HLServer-cstrike\hlds.exe -game cstrike -console -port 27025 +map de_dust2
Now the two commands I would like for the HL engine are the FPS command, that sets the FPS of the server, and a better explanation of why, or when to use the -pingboost command.

Thanks a lot, I know it was a lot, and very fragmented but bear with me please :D
axelkic
New to forums
New to forums

Re: Half-life Command Lines

Post by axelkic »

Don't waste your time reading what I wrote, I browsed the forums and found my answer. Very knowledgeable forum base :)
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Half-life Command Lines

Post by Edge100x »

I can't help myself :).

For others' reference:

-tickrate xxx will set the tickrate if put on the command line of a Source-based server (and +fps_max will set the FPS)
+sys_ticrate xxx will set the FPS if put on the command line of a HL1-based server

I recommend using a value of 0 (unlimited) for fps_max and sys_ticrate; if you'd prefer to set a lower value, make sure it's about 30% higher than the target FPS. I also recommend setting them in the server.cfg file instead of on the command line, so that you can change them on the fly.

I agree with you that a solid 500fps is actually very good. It works very well for public servers, especially, where the extra overhead involved with trying for a higher FPS could be put to better use in handling the extra players and plugins (resulting in a smoother overall FPS rate).