Server keeps crashing

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Viper.
A regular
A regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Server keeps crashing

Post by Viper. »

Our Office server has crashed 2 days in a row around the same time (10pm-11pm) with this message:

Any ideas what's causing this? I looked in the logs but nothing really stood out.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Server keeps crashing

Post by Edge100x »

The most common cause of errors like that is a plugin. Are you running plugins, and have you tried temporarily disabling them to see if the error stops occurring?

If it's not a plugin, it could be that someone is using an exploit on you. There are several out there that Valve hasn't patched yet.
Viper.
A regular
A regular

Post by Viper. »

These are our plugins..
20:57:41 Listing 4 plugins:
[01] SourceMod (1.2.2) by AlliedModders LLC
[02] Mani Admin Plugin (1.2BetaS SMM) by Mani
[03] CS:S Tools (1.2.2) by AlliedModders LLC
[04] SDK Tools (1.2.2) by AlliedModders LLC
People used to crash our server before by spamming 'timeleft' or something and it would crash the server but it always restarted itself.

I'll try to investigate more and find the cause. It may be a plugin like you say though.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

If temporarily disabling plugins does address it, the most likely culprits are the old SM version (I'd recommend upgrading this to 1.2.4) and Mani mod (you should remove that, if possible).
Viper.
A regular
A regular

Post by Viper. »

Well the crashes seem to have stopped. Is there any way for the server to automatically reboot if crashes do occur in future? Rather than me doing it remotely everytime.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

If you are running the server through FireDaemon, it has an option for dialog monitoring that might apply here: http://www.firedaemon.com/manual/index.html?DialogsTab

Here at NFO, we have a script that checks each server for responsiveness every 5 minutes and auto-restarts them remotely, which also would take care of it for you but would be much more complicated to set up.

You should also make sure that you have the various error reporting dialogs turned off in Windows, through the Control Panel->System->Advanced->Error Reporting box.
DontWannaName
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by DontWannaName »

Starting your server with -nocrashdialog will make the error message go away if that helps...
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Most of the time, -nocrashdialog doesn't do much for me, but it's certainly worth a try :)
DontWannaName
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by DontWannaName »

Maybe its one of those windows only command line options, I have never seen an error box on any of my servers.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

We run mostly Windows servers and I've definitely seen errors pop up even when that option is used (such as in response to a couple of CS:S exploits that are currently making the rounds). But, it's very likely that it does prevent many of the more common types of errors, so it's good to have on there.
DontWannaName
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by DontWannaName »

Maybe they fixed it in OB but not CSS.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

That's definitely a possibility.