ignorant to many facts

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
NegroCollegeFund
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

ignorant to many facts

Post by NegroCollegeFund »

Hello, I don't know much about hosting, however I currently host my own server on windows 2008 over 25/15 mbps nets. I do all my work over RDC from my desktop into the server. I'm considering getting some servers through nfo, however
I am afraid that I won't be able to configure and address my servers using RDC, whether or not windows is even an option, and so on. Being as uneducated as I am I'd really not desire to learn a new way of doing this stuff, I've grown accustomed to RDC and the console of my servers and access to c:/hlserver so I can directly modify any files i need to, as well as run my server update batches. Can someone please explain in more detail what exactly this is and how it works (the service with nfo as a whole)? I keep seeing people talk about control panels. Do you do all server administration off some webpage based control panel?
darkvortex
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Re: ignorant to many facts

Post by darkvortex »

The VDS/VPS systems are available either via ssh(if you prefer linux) or RDP(if you prefer windows) the control panels are for the game servers(gsp rentals) although theoretically you could install something like TCAdmin but by default you have to use either SSH or Remote Desktop. VNC is also available as a backup to either of these two methods. So they already support exactly what you are asking for.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

darkvortex is correct -- we support Windows and remote desktop is the standard way to access it here. We encourage its use :).

The control panel for a VDS here includes bandwidth graphs, the option to stop/start the server, options for OS reinstallation and DVD drive selection, a VNC console link, and a few other things. It does not control the software running on the machine, which is why some people ask about separate game server control panels.
NegroCollegeFund
New to forums
New to forums

So I can pretty much order one of these dedicated servers that I saw on the main page, The one I looked at was $250 a month in NY, and its basically a whole windows pc that i can rdc into just like what I have now? I can reboot and edit files and log in and out as i please? I'm basically renting a nice pc on a nice internet connection? I'm new to all of this so things like GSE and VPS and all that dont mean much to me.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Yes, that's correct. A dedicated server here is basically a full machine on our bandwidth that you can do as you please with (within the bounds of the law), and you can use RDP to manage it.

With a dedicated server, you won't have direct VNC console access as you would with a VDS, though, or the ability to reinstall the OS on the fly (so if those are features you'd need, I'd recommend a VDS instead).
NegroCollegeFund
New to forums
New to forums

Google tells me that VNC is like RDC but works cross platform on diff OS. Since I have windows this shouldn't be an issue for me, right? FYI the PC I work from runs Win XP Pro. Thanks for all the quick answers.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

RDC will provide you complete access to the machine OS and you don't strictly need the "VNC console" access as we provide it with VDSes. "VNC console" access is special (and different from regular VNC) because it actually shows the machine as it boots, which allows for easy troubleshooting of things like firewall problems and Windows startup issues.

The bottom line is that if you don't plan to experiment with a firewall or anything that might prevent the OS from booting, you shouldn't need the "VNC console".