Converting IP numbered address to a lettered address

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
SYN_Bliss
A semi-regular
A semi-regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Converting IP numbered address to a lettered address

Post by SYN_Bliss »

Hi all!

First wanted to say the virtual machines are running great!

Is there a way I can convert/duplicate my numbered IP address to one that includes a name? Instead of xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx have it read xx.nfoservers.com or something along those lines.. (Makes it a bunch easier to connect to a game server without having the remember the actual ip)..
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Converting IP numbered address to a lettered address

Post by Edge100x »

I'm glad to hear your VDS is running well :).

If you own a domain name, that would be the best way to handle this -- you could host the domain on our webhosting here and use our domain control panel to set up a subdomain to point to your IP, you could go through your registrar's DNS service to point it at your IP, or you could even run your own DNS server to do it.

You could also just use the provided DNS from a webhosting account here, which would be in the form xxx.site.nfoservers.com. That might be a little confusing, though.
SYN_Bliss
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by SYN_Bliss »

Ah, looks much more difficult than I thought :(

I figured there was a tool that allows you to replicate your IP address as a name instead so it gets redirected by that name.. Could this be a service you guys provide? I know our vent server is a domain name instead of an IP'd name and many game servers connect via xxx.nuclearfallout.net etc.. I don't have a domain so I guess I'm SOL :? Thanks for the response, but that looks too difficult for the noobie like myself..
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

It's not something we normally do for VDS / dedicated customers, but if you contact us through the "Help!" option, I can try to set you up with something off one of our domains.
NegroCollegeFund
New to forums
New to forums

Post by NegroCollegeFund »

I hope I'm not breaking a rule or providing misinformation, however I am pretty sure that dyndns.com will provide a free subdomain redirect to an IP address. I personally use my own website to do it (sub.domain.com), but their service is just as good if it fits your need, if not better because they offer support, instructions, and a program to auto update it with the ip should it change. Also hope you see this post since this thread is like half a month old, apologies for necro.

Copy pasted from their site:

Dynamic DNS Free (DDNS) allows you to create a hostname that points to your home or office IP address, providing an easy-to-remember URL for quick access. We also provide an update mechanism which makes the hostname work with your dynamic IP address. We continue to offer this service free to the Internet community as we have done so for nearly 10 years.

src: http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/

My apologies if this is advertising, I just saw this fellow's question and actually knew an answer :D
rlm850
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rlm850 »

Or, depending on the web host you may have, you can create an "A" record, which will direct a sub-domain to your IP address but be considered a mask instead of just a forwarding URL.

e.g.
Your domain is nfoservers.com
Your server IP/game server IP is 127.0.0.1:27015
You create an "A" record as css.nfoservers.com
Your game servers IP address will now be css.nfoservers.com:27015

keep in mind, you do not have to keep creating this for every server, just per IP as the only thing that would need to be changed on css.nfoservers.com is the ports, as css.nfoservers.com:27016, 27017, etc.

P.S. dyndns only has one good domain and that's kicks-ass.net/.org
mateckz
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster

Post by mateckz »

okay so how do you do it with that free dyndns because there are only 3 things you can do put an ip in redirect a website and offline website...
WackyIraqi
A regular
A regular

Post by WackyIraqi »

for dyndns i believe its just a matter of setting up your own subdomain through them and putting in the IP your server is using
mateckz
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster

Post by mateckz »

you still didnt explain how to do it with that site
mateckz
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster

Post by mateckz »

If some one can explain how to do this correctly please do so here or asap at #geeksports on gamesurge you dont have to idle just pmme to help name is mateckz