VDS Performance vs. Game Hosting

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Darkicon
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

VDS Performance vs. Game Hosting

Post by Darkicon »

I'm sure this was answered before but I couldn't find it.

Is running a single 25 slot CSS server at 1000FPS and 100tic on the single core VDS performance-wise just as good, better or worse than running it at 500FPS, 100tic on just the standard game hosting?
Darkicon
New to forums
New to forums

Re: VDS Performance vs. Game Hosting

Post by Darkicon »

Eek, no edit button. Forgot to add, I know every machine that the normal hosting is run on are different. So say a 4-core Xeon X3370, 8GB of RAM and Windows for the normal hosting.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

The performance of the VDSes here is very good, and I'd expect for a properly-configured 1000fps CS:S server on one of our VDSes to be comparable to a normal managed 1000fps server. It will likely even be a bit faster than a game server from another host, since our VDS machines come with dedicated HT cores and top-shelf InterNAP bandwidth.

In terms of managed game server performance, it's less about the specs on the machine than it is about the load on the machine (and how well it's managed in general). The speed of each CPU core only matters for very intensive server types (such as large Crysis servers).
IcEWoLF
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by IcEWoLF »

My VDS server runs better compared to a managed server, but everyone has their own opinions.
I've had NFo managed servers for 5 years almost now, I like it, but since our community kept getting bigger and bigger, we had to get a VDS server so we could host multiple servers.

I do admit, I miss the NFo control panel, because it made my life very easy, other than that, I love my VDS server.