Which linux would be best?

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
sungersoo
A regular
A regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Which linux would be best?

Post by sungersoo »

CentOS 5.4 / Ubuntu 8.04 / FreeBSD 6.4 All 64BIT

I'll be running cs 1.6 game servers (mostly pub) w/ ftp server

And which would be the differences in the server.cfg and command line compared to Windows?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Which linux would be best?

Post by Edge100x »

I would recommend our Gentoo autoinstall for the best performance and the greatest ability for me to assist here in the forum. We also have a CentOS install that others have reported success with, so it would be a solid second choice.

The server.cfg would be the same as on Windows, and the command line would be mostly the same but would differ slightly. You will also need to chrt your game server to maximize its performance.

What type of server are you looking to run, so that I may provide more targeted advice/instructions?
sungersoo
A regular
A regular

Post by sungersoo »

cs 1.6 and whats chrt?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

"chrt" is a command that tells Linux to run the server as a real-time process, which makes its timers more accurate and leads to a higher sustained FPS.

For CS 1.6, we have a comprehensive step-by-step guide that will lead you through the process, located here: http://www.nfoservers.com/forums/viewto ... =46&t=4163. This guide will work with either or Gentoo or CentOS autoinstall, if you tell the system to install popular games.
rustydusty1717
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rustydusty1717 »

Like John said, Gentoo is your best bet, however I had great success with CentOS as well, so it's really up to you.