empty server advice

AfflictedMed
A semi-regular
A semi-regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

empty server advice

Post by AfflictedMed »

Does anyone have any advice to help attract people into my server? Its constantly empty. Do I need a new fancy name for my server?

At this point its a waste of money and I can't believe we'll renew. I like the control it provides, but I haven't had a chance to play anything signficant for over 2 weeks.

Thanks in advance.
Syph
A regular
A regular

Re: empty server advice

Post by Syph »

I assume this is for BC2?

If it is you could try a server name that lets ppl know exactly what the server is set up for ie Rush or Conquest, Hardcore, location... etc.

Then the best way to start up a server is to get you and your clan/friends to go in and chill out for a while. Once you have about 5 or 6 ppl in there for under an hour it seems to start attracting attention and off you go.

Worked for me anyways, GL!
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Right now (as of version R9), you should also make sure that you have PB disabled, at least to start off -- the browser search bug prevents a lot of people from finding PB-enabled servers. I also recommend restarting your server as infrequently as possible; those with long uptimes were favored in the browser list in earlier versions of the game, and that might still partially be the case.
AfflictedMed
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by AfflictedMed »

Thanks guys!!! I will implement right away!
N2DEEP
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by N2DEEP »

Due to the server browser lacking needed filters, as said above:

1. put the location of the server in the name
2. put the gamemode in the name as well
3. Turn PB off until R10 that makes it mandatory
4. get 4-6 friends on, and it will usually fill up quickly
5. The play now button seems to be random, but rarely does it put people into empty servers, that is whay it is important to have people in there and then play now will help to fill it up.
6. don't be a douche admin, do not kick people unnecessarily
7. use the easy setup in your control panel and add a auto message like, "Enjoy your stay, add us to your favorites!"

When all else fails, pray to a higher being.
AfflictedMed
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by AfflictedMed »

N2DEEP wrote:Due to the server browser lacking needed filters, as said above:

1. put the location of the server in the name
2. put the gamemode in the name as well
3. Turn PB off until R10 that makes it mandatory
4. get 4-6 friends on, and it will usually fill up quickly
5. The play now button seems to be random, but rarely does it put people into empty servers, that is whay it is important to have people in there and then play now will help to fill it up.
6. don't be a douche admin, do not kick people unnecessarily
7. use the easy setup in your control panel and add a auto message like, "Enjoy your stay, add us to your favorites!"

When all else fails, pray to a higher being.

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, I'm the only one from my clan still playing. The others culdn't handle the transition. Thus, I have no one to come seed the room with me.
PowersGaming
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by PowersGaming »

One person can do it.. I've gone into our server by myself many times and got it filled up. You have to be patient ofcourse, adn don't annihilate the players that come in. Let them kill you more than you killing them. Communicate with these guys and have fun.

Use your time alone in the server to fine tune your keyboard shortcuts, or practice techniques like throwing nades/flashes etc.. Explore the maps to discover new spots that might be advantageous. If you're lacking skills for instance to drive a helicopter, start a map with helicopters and get happy.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Has anyone experienced that when you restart your server and join it while it's empty, EA immediately brings another guy in through "Play now" to join you, but usually only one? This is what I have been seeing today, and it's a bit frustrating.

I have had a couple of occasions when it pulls in a few more, which is nice, but the additions stop immediately, and further players are slow to come.

It seems like your chances of starting up a server all come down to that initial wave, and the hope that EA will throw at least 3 other guys in with you, to make the server ranked.
disconnect
A regular
A regular

Post by disconnect »

Ever since this R10/R11, the people who join our servers via "play now" seem to be less and very sparatic. It's still taking us noticeably longer to seed our servers, even if 6 of us join and hang around for an hour. It use to be where if you got up to 4 people in your server, the bodies started flooding in.

Also, our servers never make it though the night in to the next morning anymore :(
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

disconnect wrote:Ever since this R10/R11, the people who join our servers via "play now" seem to be less and very sparatic. It's still taking us noticeably longer to seed our servers, even if 6 of us join and hang around for an hour. It use to be where if you got up to 4 people in your server, the bodies started flooding in.
From my testing today, it might work best to restart the server and have just one person join, and hope that "Play now" throws in at least a few other random players (rinse and repeat until it does). Then, having the rest of the gang come in, bringing the player count to >10, for "Play now" to keep giving you more.
Also, our servers never make it though the night in to the next morning anymore :(
That might partially be due to the region setting now -- lots of EU players using the browser probably don't search for NA servers =\.
Syph
A regular
A regular

Post by Syph »

Edge100x wrote:
disconnect wrote:
That might partially be due to the region setting now -- lots of EU players using the browser probably don't search for NA servers =\.
Yeah I have noticed the same thing, we used to get a lot of EU players to sustain the server through the night but since the patch we havent been able to keep players in 24/7 before it? we had a week straight of usage :(
maelstrom
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by maelstrom »

lol paid for 3 months for an empty server. goddamn DICE and EA. what a waste of money.
Battlefield: Bad Company 2
maelstrom.nuclearfallout.net:19567
Dashit
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Dashit »

I feel ya man, I did the same thing.

This EA/DICE problem, not NFo, they were top notch in everything
Syph
A regular
A regular

Post by Syph »

The last 2 days has been the only days since BC2 came out that we haven't reached or sustained a full server for a couple hours.

Completely dead for 2 days... Hope this isn't a trend. It sure seems like people are loosing interest in BC2 already. Heck even myself have had enough until they release a decent patch.... :(
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

DICE is planning to release a fairly feature-rich patch very soon, if all goes well. I can't yet say what's in it, but it's fairly comprehensive, with a lot of customizations that people have been asking for.