Name Servers?

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
WickedRadio.ORG
A semi-regular
A semi-regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Name Servers?

Post by WickedRadio.ORG »

I have recently bought a few new domains for my website (.com/.ca/) and I was wondering how I find out what name servers to point them to when hosting the site on my VPS? :)
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Re: Name Servers?

Post by kraze »

NS1.NFOSERVERS.COM
NS2.NFOSERVERS.COM
NS3.NFOSERVERS.COM
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

When hosting the site on your VDS, our name servers wouldn't work, kraze. Those only apply to our webhosting.

WickedRadio.ORG, it depends on your setup. If you would like to just host the webpages and not a DNS server, it would be easiest to use the DNS servers of your registrar (if it provides them), or a free DNS service such as www.everydns.net.
axelkic
New to forums
New to forums

Post by axelkic »

another solution that i've seen used for people that want to host their website via their vds/vps is by xampp or wamp, then simply use a dns service like dyndns/easydns (linked in edge100x's post) and redirect the domains to the vds/vps ip.

obviously this method can be an increased security risk and could require some firewall optimization, tweaking, and securing, and i don't really recommend it for any high traffic site, but it would get the job done. if i remember correctly, xampp does not have apache, and wamp does. there's some specific service that one provides that the other does not, i'm sure edge100x can elaborate.
WickedRadio.ORG
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by WickedRadio.ORG »

Well I am facing a fair bit of downtime. Is it possible to point the domain to my Virtual dedicated? I also purchased something called: "AVCHAT" and am attempting to get this installed ASAP: "http://avchat.net/integrations/drupal"

Would I be able to pay for a seperate web hosting package? Does NFO servers have several content management systems to choose from? like PHPNUKE? and/or Drupal. Etc.

Any assistance is appreciated as my site is basically down for the count until we can resolve this.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

axelkic wrote:another solution that i've seen used for people that want to host their website via their vds/vps is by xampp or wamp, then simply use a dns service like dyndns/easydns (linked in edge100x's post) and redirect the domains to the vds/vps ip.
Running a webserver such as Apache on the VDS is what I was assuming he was doing here, yep. Usually when doing that, it's easiest to use a free DNS service alongside it, but he could also run his own.
if i remember correctly, xampp does not have apache, and wamp does.
Both of these should provide Apache. The "AMP" is taken from "LAMP", which means "Linux, Apache, MySQL, and PHP (or Perl)".
axelkic
New to forums
New to forums

Post by axelkic »

yes it's possible to install avchat. it looks a lot like you want drupal as your cms since that plugin can be plugged into it? i can give you some advice on which cms to choose if you are still uncertain. but even if nfo won't help you install it, i will.

yes nfo offers webhosting that would work. i don't think any of the webhosting comes with preinstalled cms, but they are typically very easy to install. what you might be refering to is fantastico de luxe which is a script that can auto install many different cms, edge100x would have to confirm if they have this or not. but nfo webhosting would have a working host up instantly, but what's wrong with your current host? maybe we can resolve the problem rather than spend more money on it.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

WickedRadio.ORG wrote:Well I am facing a fair bit of downtime. Is it possible to point the domain to my Virtual dedicated? I also purchased something called: "AVCHAT" and am attempting to get this installed ASAP: "http://avchat.net/integrations/drupal"

Would I be able to pay for a seperate web hosting package? Does NFO servers have several content management systems to choose from? like PHPNUKE? and/or Drupal. Etc.
Getting it to work on your VDS will take a little time, as you'll need to configure DNS, install and configure something like WAMP, and then install your site on top of that. If you purchase our webhosting here (either as an add-on to your VDS, or separately), that would be a bit faster, as it does have built-in DNS management and an autoinstaller for Drupal. Wordpress would also be a pretty good starter choice, as it's very extensible.

If you need something immediately, using our webhosting for a month while you dabble with things on the VDS might be a good choice.
axelkic
New to forums
New to forums

Post by axelkic »

Edge100x wrote:
WickedRadio.ORG wrote:Well I am facing a fair bit of downtime. Is it possible to point the domain to my Virtual dedicated? I also purchased something called: "AVCHAT" and am attempting to get this installed ASAP: "http://avchat.net/integrations/drupal"

Getting it to work on your VDS will take a little time, as you'll need to configure DNS, install and configure something like WAMP, and then install your site on top of that. If you purchase our webhosting here (either as an add-on to your VDS, or separately), that would be a bit faster, as it does have built-in DNS management and an autoinstaller for Drupal. Wordpress would also be a pretty good starter choice, as it's very extensible.

If you need something immediately, using our webhosting for a month while you dabble with things on the VDS might be a good choice.
definitely the best option right now, and i second the wordpress suggestion as it is very user friendly and has more free plugins than most other blog-type cms. in addition to that, it can be customized into anything, great way to learn php/html/css while creating something truly unique.
rlm850
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rlm850 »

bit of a bump, but this guy is awesome :D I've been listening to his station for two days straight while working on my server.
Jesse
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Jesse »

rlm850 wrote:bit of a bump, but this guy is awesome :D I've been listening to his station for two days straight while working on my server.

I agree!