Question about auto SVN updater and .svn folders

ThatBum
A regular
A regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Question about auto SVN updater and .svn folders

Post by ThatBum »

Before I FTP all of my content to my Gmod server, I would like to know if the .svn metadata folders are required to be uploaded with it in order for it to work. I checked them out locally with TortoiseSVN. They have quite a lot of files in them, and I would not like to put unnecessary load on the server by having them there if they are not required. Thanks.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Question about auto SVN updater and .svn folders

Post by Edge100x »

If you need the SVN functionality to work on those folders, you'll need all the metadata, yes.

I would recommend using the updater to start with, as well, if you can.
ThatBum
A regular
A regular

Post by ThatBum »

Ah, I see. It's just that some auto-updating programs I've seen work in a different way that doesn't need metadata. They work by filesize and/or date created, presumably.

The server is a SpaceBuild server, and therefore needs a lot of custom content to be uploaded.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Nod. Subversion and other version control systems are a bit more complicated than sync-only systems like hldsupdatetool and our control panel's Websync. The metadata is used for storing and retrieving older versions, among other things, and if it's not there, Subversion squawks and croaks. It's also picky about the regular files and doesn't like when they're deleted.
ThatBum
A regular
A regular

Post by ThatBum »

While I'm on the topic of the updater, it could do with a bit better parsing. I noticed that if the URL has more than one space in it, it chokes on it. This is unfortunate because it doesn't take "special characters," so you can't replace spaces with %20's, which would be better. Also support for authentication would be good, for Stargate, and other SVN's that require auth. Just a tickbox for auth, and a user/pass field would be perfect. I don't know what mechanism you use for the updating, so this may be hard to implement. I'm thinking it's just the svn program on a cron job or something. Good luck and all...either way it's a hell of a lot better than that horrid TCAdmin interface.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

That's odd, as it shouldn't choke on multiple spaces or prevent you from using escaped characters. It should just pass those through to the SVN client. In your svn.log, what are you seeing given to SVN when this happens?

I will have to look into adding auth options (but why in the world would they require auth to download from a public repository?).
ThatBum
A regular
A regular

Post by ThatBum »

When I checkout this SVN:

http://customaddons.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/Resource Transit System

I get this:

Handling sync for http://customaddons.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/Resource Transit System to Resource Transit System.
Guessing function of checkout because folder does not exist.
svn: URL 'http://customaddons.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/Resource' doesn't exist
SUCCESS: Checked out svn in 27 second(s)

Which is odd, because it says success...If I try to use %20's it just says it's invalid and ignores it.

Also public repos with auth are ones that require something like "anonsvn" for the user and password, or similar.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Your checkout with spaces should work now. I will add the u/p feature to my "to do" list.
ThatBum
A regular
A regular

Post by ThatBum »

Thank you very much! It may not seem like much, but the SVN updater is important to have working for those who are running development/experimental addons, like the Gravity Hull, that are updated often. Now to get Custom Addon Framework working...
ThatBum
A regular
A regular

Post by ThatBum »

Oh, something else bad. I can't seem to delete anything created by the SVN updater. I get 550 Access Denied. I guess whatever user the updater is running under is not me, so it's not owned by me so I can't delete it, and I can't change its permissions. Also, now it doesn't know how to handle folders with spaces. Not good.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Deleting: http://www.nfoservers.com/forums/viewto ... =65&t=5259

I didn't touch the folders-with-spaces behavior, so that should actually still work. If you'd like me to check out your specific situation, though, shoot me a support request.
ThatBum
A regular
A regular

Post by ThatBum »

No, no, it seems to be working now...bizarre. Anyway, my server is now operating with all its content now, all set on the SVN updater, except for Stargate, which you have to log in as anonymous for that particular repo. Godspeed dude.